particle points??

sbjones25

i am running into a problem with my pop network. i have a source that is a tire rotating on some axis. i want only ONE point per primitive to be birthed. i don't need any more particles than the number of primitives i have. so to solve that problem, in the source pop i have given the impulse birth rate the exact number of particles that i need on frame one, and then turn the impulse activation off. when that happens, the popnet no longer sees that those points which are being birthed from the primitive center(ordered). how would i get those points to stay with my moving source geometry. if anybody has any tricks up their sleeves, it would be much appreciated. i basically need a source pop that can create one point per primitive and those points follow the moving source geometry, and the ability to toggle on an off the points following the moving source geometry.

i know that what i have stated may be a little confusing, but if you think you might have an idea and need an example hip file i'll be glad to upload one.

Thanks for any help!

Stephen

sjones29@student.scad.edu

The simplest way is to use a Group POP. Add the points to a group based on your condition to keep them bound to the prim centroids. Then use that group in the Position POP.

Create a second group that is the corollary to the group above and use that in your Force POP or other POPs to motivate the particles.

Note: You can use the same prim() expressions to grab the prim normal, velocity (from a Trail SOP?) along with other attributes in the Attribute POP if need be.