Deform ground at each impacts

Div

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to deform the ground on impacts, like footprints, and i've got several problems : I use a multisolver with a rbd solver and a sop one, with metaballs and magnet in the solver geometry. This works great but i want only the ground to be deformed and not the moving sphere and the group mask seems to works only on the multisolver, not on the sop one....

The other problem i've got is that i want deformations only when the impulse of the impact is over a certain value, I've tried with a switch node, but it doesn't works, i think because there aren't any impacts on several frames and my dopfield() expression may return an error....

And the last problem is that i'd like to subdivide the ground using the primitives around each impacts, i've tried using metaballs grouping points then i tranfer the group to a primitive one and subdivide this group, this works at the sop level but when i try to automate it in dops it return an error....

I've posted the hip file so you can take a look....

Thanks a lot

Nico

Tst_GroundPrints.hip

Not an answer to your questions, but as an alternative... have you considered displacements?

An ortho camera below the ground looking up and a shader that records the amount by which each shade point is below a virtual ground plane -- producing an animated displacement map. You can then recombine the frames in time (either in comp or in the ground shader) to get any effect you want: a soft ground that retains the prints forever, a springy ground which gradually looses the prints after some time, or a bouncy ground which looses the prints immediately. The main advantage: all the resolution you want (no subdivision needed -- let Mantra do that :)) and no simulation.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Yep, i thought about that, but the problem is that i need the deformations appears during the simulation process... The effect i'm trying to achieve is a sequence of a car crashing over a hill, deforming the ground with grass on impacts, and i've got few close-up....

Edited by Div

Ok, i've found how to get an impact only when the impulse is over a certain value, i used to have some wrong expression in a switch node.... I've tried to apply this method for the subdivision problem but it doesn't work yet... Can't find anywhere on the web the multisolver group masking problem, grrrrr!!

Here is the new hip for those interested...

Thanks.

Nico

TstGroundPrints3.hip

Edited by Div

I've bypassed the multi-solver group masking problem by setting a rbd solver for the falling sphere and a multi one (rbd and sop) for the ground, and it's working :rolleyes: ... Now the only problem which persist is the subdivision one, i'll trying to study Miguel Perez's approach with his bullet impact generator otl to find how he subdivide the collision mesh only where impacts occure...

Here his the new hip and a quick flipbook of what i've got now...

Thanks

Nico

TstGroundPrints4.hip

TstGroundPrints4.mov

Ok i found the subdivision solution but i've got a sop problem... I use the divide sop to subdivide my ground and it seems that whereas just dividing my polygons it duplicates and divide them... strange behavior...

Here his the working hip, a flipbook and a close up of the problem...

Many thanks

Nico

divideProblem.mov

TstGroundPrints5.hip

post-3119-1225807366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Div