Simple displacement question

Michael1

I'm quite new to shaders in Houdini, but I've been working on the one in the picture. At the moment it has these islands of displacement, but I'd like to have a different displacement in the regions which are currently flat. I guessing this is quite simple but if someone could give me some tips or a simple example it would be really helpful.

Thanks

shaderDev_v001.jpg

I'm not a shader person, but how about using that function you are using to displace the mesh, to act as an Alpha channel of sorts, so that above a certain value, allow the islands to show up, but if the function is below a certain function, then smooth step into a different function?

GW

It's ok I got it sorted, thanks

I'm not a shader person, but how about using that function you are using to displace the mesh, to act as an Alpha channel of sorts, so that above a certain value, allow the islands to show up, but if the function is below a certain function, then smooth step into a different function?

GW

Edited by Michael1

Sorry for the delay.

(see picture) I took my pattern for the islands which is from a 'splatter' node and after wards had a fit node. I fitted the pattern between 0,1. Then I split this off into two directions, going up I add the aanoise, and going down I adding the veins. Multiplying the values until it looked right.

Then I have add some opacity and had a smaller sphere inside with noise on it.

Hope that helps, just ask if you want to know more.

shader_screenshot.png

shaderDev_v005.jpg

How did you sort it?

What worked?

Thanks.