Over sampling?

Symbolic

Hi,

I am working on a particle simulation. Right now the behaviour of the particles is almost as I want it. But I want to over sample it 2x or 4x. Which means that I want to slow it down and make it more precise so I can introduce some extra noise. Right now it is too fast for the noise to be picked up. (In Maya you change the time to 0.25 (playbakc preferences), this makes all sims 4x oversampled. Then you play back the resulting cache at 4x fps. So this results in a more precise simulation... more time for forces to be evaluated etc.)

Is this possible without loosing my current settings? I mean I can decrease the gravity (.25) all forces and masses to (.25) then enable the oversampling on the POP net to 4. But this result in a totatlly different behavior. Well I am kind of ready to reconfigure this from scratch... but is this the right approach?

Thanks.

You should be able to increase the Oversampling in the POP Network without changing anything else and get similar, but more accurate, behavior. Houdini should scale all of your forces and such automatically. It's possible that if you are using something like the $F variable (integer frame) as a noise seed or offset or something, then you'll need to change to $FF (float frame variable), but generally oversampling should be really easy.

If you want to check the oversampled frames, you can go into "Global Animation Options" (furthest right button on the playbar), uncheck "Integer Frame Values", and change the "Step" parameter to whatever increment you like.