how many ways to make 2 object combine together without gap?

Hi everyone , I have 2 model need to be combine together , well , actually is not only 2 , is plenty, so I cannot use "edit" or "transform" node to manual edit them 1 by 1.

I need some help , please kindly let me know as much tips as I can. (except with manual edit like "transform" or "edit" node , well , if there is expression can do the samething , please also tell me !!

Thanks please!!!

post-4016-1241305379_thumb.jpg

post-4016-1241305406_thumb.jpg

Guest Swann

What you mean by combine ? merge them ? or just move them as close to eachother as it only possible ?

EDIT: Nevermind, below oldschool writed almost a book :) full of tips for your question.

Edited by SWANN

Append a transform SOP to the geometry you want to align with the first object.

First move the objects you want to transform to the object's origin.

In the Transform SOP added above you would use in the tx, ty and tz parms respectively:

$CEX*-1

$CEY*-1

$CEZ*-1

where $CEX, $CEY and $CEZ are local variables to the Transform SOP that return the centroid position of this node. By negating them, you are putting the geometry at the origin of this object. (see the operator help for the Transform SOP and scroll down to see the list of all local variables available)

Next expand the parameter expressions to move the object to the centroid of the geometry in a SOP you want to align to again in the tx, ty and tz parms:

where the centroid() expression does the same as the $CE? local variables above but for any other SOP in the network

and "../tube1" is the local path to the node that you want to eventually snap the geometry to.

Finally move the geometry to any of the six boundaries of the target object by picking on either the tx, ty or tz parms. For example if you wanted to align your geometry to the +X boundary of your geometry, in the tx parm you would expand the expression to read:

$CEX*-1 + centroid("../tube1", D_X) + bbox("../tube1", D_XSIZE)/2 + bbox("../tube_object2_xform1", D_XSIZE)/2

where bbox() returns the bounding box of the geometry cached by a particular SOP.

Dividing the bbox() expressions for both sets of geometry by 2 gives us half the size. The result is to first move the center of our geometry to the edge of the primitive then move this geometry out by half it's size resulting in the two objects just touching each other.

and sorry for the mangled reply.

For some reason the full answer would not go as one post...

Ohhhhh!!! thanks very much , i will try it out and see how , then will post here to let you know is it what i need , :D thanks again to everyone kindness