PRMAN Deep shadows

I'm still learning how to use PRMAN with Houdini. So today I tried to find how to make a light setup (light shader, shadow shader etc) I just feel really confused on how to get a simple spotlight with deep shadows... I would appreciate a simple hip file or a simple explanation of the steps needed to do this.

The default lights in Houdini will produce deep shadows in prman if you use depth map shadows and change the shadow to $HIP/$OS.dshad. The only problem with this is the controls available may not be enough for you.

In that case you'll need to generate a deep shadow map using the prman ROP. The basic idea here is to render your scene looking through your shadow casting light. You set the ROP to render the Z channel using the zfile driver, and an Ri AOV with the deepshad driver.

There are a lot of rules regarding shadow map generation that I didn't get into. I'd recommend reading the prman docs. App note #15 and the section on display drivers should cover it.