catapult fireball

blackchicken

Hello I have little question. Im preparing for some little project for my friend. There is catapult fireball. Fire is one big unknown for me. Look at the picture of references. Which kind of technique do you prefere? I need fire character, and ofcourse good rendering results. Speed fast changing of character in scene and realtime simulation. I thing particles is the best way what do you thing? Pyro shoud be beatiful but limeted container and little bit more time for calculating...what are you using in productin?.Youtube reference is from PYRO, if this motion is possible create by particles, that will be great. thanks a lot...BC.....

post-4005-124956987706_thumb.jpg

Hello I have little question. Im preparing for some little project for my friend. There is catapult fireball. Fire is one big unknown for me. Look at the picture of references. Which kind of technique do you prefere? I need fire character, and ofcourse good rendering results. Speed fast changing of character in scene and realtime simulation. I thing particles is the best way what do you thing? Pyro shoud be beatiful but limeted container and little bit more time for calculating...what are you using in productin?.Youtube reference is from PYRO, if this motion is possible create by particles, that will be great. thanks a lot...BC.....

post-4005-124956987706_thumb.jpg

Depends on what you shots are like. I would try some basic particles to begin with, advected by a low res fluid. Really depends on detail level / motion of the ball / motion of the camera / how many shots you need to do and the time you have.

good idea advected fluids, with low res sim could be nice, shots will be very fast and simple, just catapult shots some fireballs say 25 frames of animaton, one firebal fly over castle say 50 frames. It is possible use some simple fields which create specific motion of fire without fluids? Thanks a lot...BC....

good idea advected fluids, with low res sim could be nice, shots will be very fast and simple, just catapult shots some fireballs say 25 frames of animaton, one firebal fly over castle say 50 frames. It is possible use some simple fields which create specific motion of fire without fluids? Thanks a lot...BC....

I think you could get away with particles emitted from a sphere, just emit from a sphere, inherit the velocity to some degree, drag force, some kind of noise force (just make something with a vop pop I guess, by adding ot acceleration ). Most of the work will be in tweaking the noise and shading.

The main thing is to get some reference (

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGkfsfOJQxI
) and always refer back to it. A lot of this effect will be in comp with some glowey / flickery stuff.

How much detail so you want (like, how big on screen is it?)