Randomly linear increment in vex

beeemtee

Hi,

I need a function in vex context that randomly changes it's slope periodically. I can achieve this in chop with the area op, but since it's needed in a shader, I don't have that opportunity. I would like to make random tiles with it, based on arbitrary coordinates.

Here is the graph of the chop version:

post-2183-124990671655_thumb.png

Thanks a lot!

bmt

ps: uhh, i just realized how stupid is the title of the topic, sorry for that!

Edited by beeemtee

I'm not shure of what you need.. but I think you could "export" a vex parameter in the UI and then use expression or link your chop data to that parameter.

If you want to have that kind of random incement you could also add a random number at each step \tile\ frame with an expression, or make a linear function in someway and perturb by adding some noise..

hope this can help you!

Thanks MENDOZ!

What I'm trying to make is a thing like "tiled boxes" vop node, but with varying width but still relevant ss's and tt's. It got nothing to do with chops, so that is really not an option. By the way I don't quiet understand what you mean when you say export a vex parameter in (or into?) the UI. In my understanding in vex you have limited access to the outside world: you get your globals from the renderer, there are parameters evaluated in a frame by frame basis, and you can access attributes assigned to your geometry. That's all I'm aware of. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not that I want to, but I'm curious about how could I wire a vex variable for example 's' to a channel in other contexts if that's possible.

In my understanding in vex you can't accumulate a value like you suggested, since the order of evaluation is not predictable. It depends on how the renderer reaches your geometry.

Perturbing with a noise is a better idea, but still not what I need, since they are non linear in their nature and would distort the parametric coordinates. Also there would be no way to tell how thick is or where are we in the current tile.

Hope this makes my question more clear.

Thanks again!

bmt