PolyBridge in Houdini

0rr

Hi

very basic question. In most 3dpackages theres a tool called bridge (eg 3dsmax,modo,c4d...).

I know Houdini has a tool called bridge but it's more of a nurbs modelling tool.

Here you can see what a bridgetool does in most 3dpackages:

polybridge.jpg

Does Houdini have a PoylBridge tool or something similar?

On my signature below is link to page that contains some tools that I made during my plays with Houdini. There is BridgePolygon tool that you can download. First post contains the most updated tools. If something is not working let me know.

post-3552-125120228044_thumb.jpg

You can go even craizier with this tool :)

post-3552-125120525272_thumb.jpg post-3552-125120536375_thumb.jpg

Edited by SWANN
  • Like 1

Thank you very very much! I was just thought about doing one myself so you saved me alot of time. It's a very essential tool. All your tools are preaty good and make procedural modelling in houdini even more fun :)

If sidefx would now add a twaek componet tool like in xsi ... houdini would be a great modelling package :D

Thanks again!

What this tool is doing ?

Have a look here:

Whit the tweak component tool (in modo it's called element move) ... it'll auto select the component(point edges faces .. etc) and easily allow you to move it (whitout switchting modes all the time). But I don't think one could inmplement via a digital asset. It's more of a workflow thing. :(

Not much interesting to bother, I think. Sliding can be easily done with techniques like in FlatternPoints tool. And editSOP with switch mode is enough. You have to be very lazy if it makes a problem to you ;) to press button that will switch from point to edge etc..

Not much interesting to bother, I think. Sliding can be easily done with techniques like in FlatternPoints tool. And editSOP with switch mode is enough. You have to be very lazy if it makes a problem to you ;) to press button that will switch from point to edge etc..

While modelling every second counts! just kidding :D . If you tweak thousand and thousand of points it's very useful. I guess I am just very used to those tools :)

I recently made a quick setup that mimmiks modos background constrains:

sphereinsidebox993.jpg

It's kinda cool that you can do almost very modelling tool you want in houdini.

Edited by 0rr

Just curios, what do you use for ? I mean this constrain thing ? I myself don't see too much (if any) scenarios to use it when modeling.

BTW. BridgePolygon works interactively in viewport. It asks to select polys for first input and then for second. If you plug into it geometry that is merged (like two spheres pluged into mergeSOPand then mergeSOP into both inputs) or use for bridging polys that are on the same geo turn ON "Both Inputs Use The Same Geo". I should make it On by default because I think this is more frequent scenario when modeling.

Edited by SWANN

Just curios, what do you use for ? I mean this constrain thing ? I myself don't see too much (if any) scenarios to use it when modeling.

BTW. BridgePolygon works interactively in viewport. It asks to select polys for first input and then for second. If you plug into it geometry that is merged (like two spheres pluged into mergeSOPand then mergeSOP into both inputs) or use for bridging polys that are on the same geo turn ON "Both Inputs Use The Same Geo". I should make it On by default because I think this is more frequent scenario when modeling.

I am not using it. It was just a quick setup for someone asking for it over at the houdini forum (you like me asking here ;D). I just wanted to make the point (as I am new to Houdini) it's just great that one can port almost any feature from other apps to houdini. Also Houdini isn't a bad modeller at all (as some may say) because you have the abillity to create your own tools etc.

That it works interactivly in the viewport is very cool. And yes I also think you should turn it on by default.