offseting curves

Hello

I have intersting problem.

I need to create comething like moving tree year rings.

So my setup should be

1, maya animation of some guy, then render sequence of frames with only surface shader or use only alpha

2, in houdini use trace sop, offset curve from trace and skin it so I have little peace of surface which will moving with sequence of pictures.

3, mapping year ring texture. then offset again curves resample it, less details and repeat this step many time, so I have offseting moving year rings.

Problems:

first problem is with offseting curve,curve could be very zigzag. I cant find any tool for that. I found peak, but there is problem with normals. How could I fix it?

another problem is with mapping. I leave skin surface uncheck convert ot poly, so surface is nurbs? so I could map textures by S and T right? But number of points will be different every frame, texture will shake? another thing, will I have acces to tile texture if i use S and T?

Any ideas how to easy and quick solve this interesting example? Sorry for that stupid questions but still much much thing to learn in houdini. Thanks a lot BC

Not quite sure if this will work for you, but try using an Extrude SOP (nb. Not a Polyextrude) with depth offset set to zero and the thickness offset controlling your offset.

Hello

I have intersting problem.

I need to create comething like moving tree year rings.

So my setup should be

1, maya animation of some guy, then render sequence of frames with only surface shader or use only alpha

2, in houdini use trace sop, offset curve from trace and skin it so I have little peace of surface which will moving with sequence of pictures.

3, mapping year ring texture. then offset again curves resample it, less details and repeat this step many time, so I have offseting moving year rings.

Problems:

first problem is with offseting curve,curve could be very zigzag. I cant find any tool for that. I found peak, but there is problem with normals. How could I fix it?

another problem is with mapping. I leave skin surface uncheck convert ot poly, so surface is nurbs? so I could map textures by S and T right? But number of points will be different every frame, texture will shake? another thing, will I have acces to tile texture if i use S and T?

Any ideas how to easy and quick solve this interesting example? Sorry for that stupid questions but still much much thing to learn in houdini. Thanks a lot BC