Convert RBD Fracture object to particles

Muhc

Hi!

I'm stuck on creating this effect. I'm trying to shatter snowman into pieces and then when each piece hits the groundplane, I would like to convert it to particles in a shape of that object. So when the object hits the ground it is "shattered" even more into particles. Is that even possible?

Thanks for any help!

Snowman.hip

I didn´t check your hip file, but from the top of my head, you could convert each piece to a point when it hits the ground using a For Each SOP, and then use those points as your particle source.

PS: By the way, welcome to the board :)

Edited by Netvudu

I didn´t check your hip file, but from the top of my head, you could convert each piece to a point when it hits the ground using a For Each SOP, and then use those points as your particle source.

PS: By the way, welcome to the board :)

Thanks for the idea, but I'm after emmiting a bunch of particles in the shape of that object (possibly fill the object with particles), delete the object on touchdown and create particles at the same frame.

Thanks for the idea, but I'm after emmiting a bunch of particles in the shape of that object (possibly fill the object with particles), delete the object on touchdown and create particles at the same frame.

The transition might be a bit sudden, perhaps you could render just the piece-filling particles from the start - might work for snow?

Another approach would be to use dynamic shattering, might well be the easier road to take.

Ah!, now I understand what you want.

I´m afraid there are still thing to know. For instance, when the piece hits the ground, does the whole piece turn into particles, or is it something gradual (i.e. as the piece touches the ground, just the part touching it turns into particles)?

In the frist case, I´m afraid eetu is right and you will get something too sudden.

In the second case, what about deleting the geometry that touches the ground just the frame after emitting from it? For instance, the ground could transfer an attribute to the pieces just touching it, then you delete the geometry that contains that attribute, and also use just that part (branching the network) for emmitting the particles.

PS: Depending on the size of the pieces, eetu might be right in that using dynamic fracturing might be easier.

Edited by Netvudu

I wanted the whole piece turned to particles upon touchdown and was counting for motion blur to cover up the sudden change. I definitely need to get rid of RBD objects or at least deform them, because I don't like the rock-shaped snow pieces on the ground. Any pointers on how to achieve deformation of the snow piece when it hits the ground? How would you solve this problem?

I'm open to a whole new approach to the problem, but the initial pieces must be solid objects and not particles, because I'm after a certain style.

Thank you guys for all the help!

P.S. I apologize if any of this is hard to understand, I'm not a native speaker and my englis is a little rusty:)