re-selection and network editor questions

alright...so, maybe I have a sphere, and which I have applied a fractal (yeah, just refreshing my memories via the 3dbuzz vtm's)..then, I went back into the object level and then came back inside the geometry.

then, when I select the fractal and tell it to reselect geometry for operation, I get to select the geometry, however, I am asked what I want to do with the selected geometry

Why does it do that? Isn't it supposed to fractal it again?

instead of asking me again for a new function..and when I do specify to fractal again..it just adds another function in my network editor..something, which I dont want.

yeah..so thats my first question..

second, I selected a node once in the network editor and i just pressed Alt after selecting just for fun to see what happened (because in the column at the bottom, it said Hold Alt to drag node beyond worksheet or something)

so, I do that, and now I get this annoying little box everytime..even after I restart Houdini...some help on disabling that.

I'm replying here because you asked me to, but I don't hink I'll be much help.

Using Houdini 6.1.83, I don't have the problem you have with fractal. I can select the fractal, hit enter to enter it, reselect geometry and the new selection gets fractalized in the same SOP. It works as it should.

The second part... I dunno. I don't theink I've ever seen a message like that and I've remapped most of my hotkeys so I really don't know what that message and "box" are all about. Maybe do a screengrab of it to clear things up.

yeah...it's the network overview...really handy if you have a big network....

new in 6.1 is the being able to select some nodes and by holding ALT while you drag you can move them where ever you want because the network view will scroll with your mouse....very nice

ok

great

now I got another question

I dont know..I think I accidently pressed some buttons here and there in the paramater's box while manipulating the radius of a sphere

and I accidently got this in my viewport...

how do you disable it..and how do you enable it? seems like a handly little feature. :)

edit:

http://www14.brinkster.com/dpvtank/screen2.jpg

This is a persistent handle. It is usefull, if you animate different channels from different SOPs. This way you don't have to select the appropriate SOP, search the field in the parameter-pane and change the value. You can do this directly in the viewport. To create it, simply drag-and-drop a parameter into the viewport. To disable it, you right-click on it and deselect the check-box "Persistent" in the context-menu. If you are in View-mode, the handle is greyed out. You can either hit "enter" on your keyboard to start the mode of the current SOP. This will also activate the handle. Another way is to right-click onto the small icon (with the blue background) that represents the handle in the toolbar at the left border of the viewport.