FLIP and Up Res node

viezel

Hi,

so I playing for some time with the new flip solver. I really like it!.

But in order to render out a good looking take, I need at least a particle seperation of 0.05, which gives me far to many particles than what my computer can handle at simulation time..

so.. Is it possible to use the up res node here. Simulate in low res and scale up at render time? if so, how should I connect it in my dop network?

Any help will be great!

the upres node is for gas simulations only ( it's called gasUpres :rolleyes: )

You can distribute FLIP sims over several computers, that would be your best option.

Hi,

so I playing for some time with the new flip solver. I really like it!.

But in order to render out a good looking take, I need at least a particle seperation of 0.05, which gives me far to many particles than what my computer can handle at simulation time..

so.. Is it possible to use the up res node here. Simulate in low res and scale up at render time? if so, how should I connect it in my dop network?

Any help will be great!

the upres node is for gas simulations only ( it's called gasUpres :rolleyes: )

You can distribute FLIP sims over several computers, that would be your best option.

really.. I didn't know that. What is the dropdown menu in the up res node for, when the options are liquid, gas, smoke etc?

Thanks bunker, for that answer!

True, you can choose "liquid", but it's for voxel grid based liquid only.

Nothing to do with Flip fluids unfortunately.

gasResizeFluid Dop is a digital asset, so you can open it and have a look.

The dropdown allows you to select different sets of fields to resize, basically it's a gasResizeField microsolver with several field names attached.

hope that makes some sense :)

really.. I didn't know that. What is the dropdown menu in the up res node for, when the options are liquid, gas, smoke etc?

Thanks bunker, for that answer!

Edited by bunker

It is. And there are a few more of those threads in the odforce archives. Makes me wonder how many I have missed out on since I joined odforce :). For fluids and volumes that's probaly not that much considering they haven't been around that long. But shaders, vex, pops and sops... must be plenty... you should try the occasional random search :) - with a bit of luck the scene files still open.

I don't have the time to do a hip file right now, but have a look at the video on sidefx where Jeff Lait modifies the attributes with the flip. This should give you ideas on how to extract the velocity out of it.

Then also have a look at Peter Quints' video on vimeo on how to render millions of particles. I haven't watched it fully, but I'm sure he's advecting.

The difference is that you will want to advect by points rather than by a volume.

Unless if you get the volume that is generated at each frame by the flip and use that to advect some more points, but I haven't played enough with flip yet to know if you have access to this volume.

I would consider advecting the new points through pcfiltering the velocity of the pointcloud from the flip sim.

If I get some time I'll see if I can try the above. Otherwise start learning, most of the describe techniques are documented in scene files here on the forum. (Perform and advanced search with my username "pclaes" and subject "pointclouds" or "particles" and I'm sure lots will pop up already).

I did a quick upres flip solver test ...

When doing particlesToField to transfer the particles velocity (v) to a vel field, I replace "Geometry" by a custom Geometry data instead ( from the lowres sim ). I also demonstrated that you can "slice" your sim in several chunks. At the moment, you get overlapping of particles between those chunks, and it looks really "gooey" but I'm working on it :)

upres_flip_solver_01.hip

Edited by bunker

• 6 months later...