What video formats work in COPS?

Darimondé

Evening to you folks,

I'm having two problems that I'm looking for solutions to.

The main one is that I've been trying to import video into Houdini COPS and have had no luck at all. At first I thought is was just a limitation of the Apprentice Edition of Houdini but, I was told that the Apprentice Edition is the Master Edition with a different license, so, any ideas? I have tried various formats that seem to work fine in my other programs such as: .mov, .iff, .tif,and .exr. EXR will at least show an image but won't actually play the clip. What am I missing?

Number two is that I find that sometimes I can't change the image attached to a File In within COPS. For some reason when I go to change the image I can't get my file browser and any file I create from that point on only shows this last image and will continue to do so until I quit Houdini and try again. That works until it happens again which I have yet to find a pattern to this behavior. I am using build 11.0.633.

Thank you.

Rick

The main one is that I've been trying to import video into Houdini COPS and have had no luck at all. At first I thought is was just a limitation of the Apprentice Edition of Houdini but, I was told that the Apprentice Edition is the Master Edition with a different license, so, any ideas? I have tried various formats that seem to work fine in my other programs such as: .mov, .iff, .tif,and .exr. EXR will at least show an image but won't actually play the clip. What am I missing?

Houdini can read only image sequences, no video files. If you have video files you'll have to convert them to image sequences first. The supported formats are in the list of file extensions on a File COP node file selection dialog.

Number two is that I find that sometimes I can't change the image attached to a File In within COPS. For some reason when I go to change the image I can't get my file browser and any file I create from that point on only shows this last image and will continue to do so until I quit Houdini and try again. That works until it happens again which I have yet to find a pattern to this behavior. I am using build 11.0.633.

That doesn't really make a lot of sense. Are you saying once you select an image sequence in the File COP it doesn't update the file path, or what you see on screen, or you don't even get the dialog to select an image sequence? What is in the text box for the image sequence path?

Edited by lukeiamyourfather

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I'll see how things work with the image sequences. A note to the developers, maybe in the next version of Houdini we could have a node that specifically converts common video formats into image sequences so that it is easier to import from other programs. I can imagine clients bringing in anything but image sequences to work on and it'd be cool to be able to do the conversion right inside of Houdini rather than using another program.

As to my problem with the File In node, I'm not getting my selection dialog box. The system seems to get stuck on whatever picture image or video attempt I last imported and then I can't change it because the dialogue box won't come up again I can only use images that I have already used before. I have to quit the program and then start again. So here is an example. I just opened Houdini and got the problem right away (which isn't normal even when I do have it). I click on the Browser selection and get nothing but the default. Again, usually I have chosen something that then gets stuck as the only image.

One thing that sometimes happens with Houdini (windows) is that dialog boxes open behind the main app. I experience that problem on dual screen setups but not on single screens. I think it is a known bug. Click around a little and see if the dialog is hidden.

Edited by Macha

One thing that sometimes happens with Houdini (windows) is that dialog boxes open behind the main app. I experience that problem on dual screen setups but not on single screens. I think it is a known bug. Click around a little and see if the dialog is hidden.

Thanks for the great tip Macha, hadn't thought to check behind the main work area. I'll let you know what happens.

Rick