Sign in to follow this  
JRoberts86

Match Ocean Shader Disp in VOPSOP

Hi Everyone,

I am working with the Ocean Toolkit and currently developing the a system to drive the crest particle simulation.

I am using the mineigval attribute to source the particles which works well but once I apply displacement to the surface via the shader the location of the particle source does not match. I looked into transferring the HOT values into a vopsop to match the displacement prior to the simulation but although results are close there is still an in discrepancy between the two.

In the shader version there is a lot more surface detail which although is the main difference between two I am more focused on the position of the larger peaks which do not have the same position.

Is there a way similar to using a SOP attribute to drive a shader; but use a shader attribute to drive surface geometry in VOPs.

If anyone has any ideas how to solve this I would love to hear your suggestions.

I have attached a .hip file to this post.

Kind Regards

J

Hi Edward,

Thanks for such a quick reply, ill take a look at the Shader Unwrap and post my findings.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

J

Perhaps you could bake the values into a texture map (of sufficient resolution). See ShaderUnwrap.

Hi Everyone,

I am working with the Ocean Toolkit and currently developing the a system to drive the crest particle simulation.

I am using the mineigval attribute to source the particles which works well but once I apply displacement to the surface via the shader the location of the particle source does not match. I looked into transferring the HOT values into a vopsop to match the displacement prior to the simulation but although results are close there is still an in discrepancy between the two.

In the shader version there is a lot more surface detail which although is the main difference between two I am more focused on the position of the larger peaks which do not have the same position.

Is there a way similar to using a SOP attribute to drive a shader; but use a shader attribute to drive surface geometry in VOPs.

If anyone has any ideas how to solve this I would love to hear your suggestions.

I have attached a .hip file to this post.

Kind Regards

J

you could write out a pointcloud of the wavetops in the shader and import this back into sops and use it as a source for the particle sim...