purge memory

breadbox

Im using a python script to render out a bin seq. the memory usage is a complete hog. I can get through around 100 frames of my sequence but then the memory never frees up using 24GB. if i quit houdini then start the sequence from where it left off its fine, but then after another 100 frames or so ram fills up.

I think the specfic way this python OTL is running hogs the memory.

is there a way to flush clear or reset the ram? without quitting and restarting houdini?

You can through the cache manager but I don't think you can access it via Python.

Isn't there a garbage module in Python?

ah thanks, tried the cache manager. oddly enough the caches are small but the ram usage in windows is off the charts. I know its houdini because for example my perf monitor shows 24 GB of ram usage and when i quite houdini it drops to 2.

clearing the caches in cache manager didnt seem to help either.

ah thanks, tried the cache manager. oddly enough the caches are small but the ram usage in windows is off the charts. I know its houdini because for example my perf monitor shows 24 GB of ram usage and when i quite houdini it drops to 2.

clearing the caches in cache manager didnt seem to help either.

http://docs.python.org/release/2.6.7/library/gc.html#module-gc << see if that helps. Call it every X iteration in your loops. Should help in theory.

Im using a python script to render out a bin seq. the memory usage is a complete hog. I can get through around 100 frames of my sequence but then the memory never frees up using 24GB. if i quit houdini then start the sequence from where it left off its fine, but then after another 100 frames or so ram fills up.

I think the specfic way this python OTL is running hogs the memory.

is there a way to flush clear or reset the ram? without quitting and restarting houdini?

I think it's hard to say how without knowing what you're python script is doing. If it's doing thing more than rendering, perhaps it is cooking your DOP simulation that is causing the memory usage? In that case, turning off Cache simulation in the DOP network node might work (but that depends on what you're simming I think).

I think it's hard to say how without knowing what you're python script is doing. If it's doing thing more than rendering, perhaps it is cooking your DOP simulation that is causing the memory usage? In that case, turning off Cache simulation in the DOP network node might work (but that depends on what you're simming I think).

the sop network is pretty small.

I'm importing in an SD real flow cache, then using a poly reduce and then a poly wire.

scrubbing and playback in houdini is halted a little bit but otherwise not bad. its mostly when i enable the bin export OTL from this site, that causes the memory problem.

http://tmdag.com/blog/?p=638

i didnt code this so i have no idea what its doing or how to purge memory after every frame. the only thing that seems to help is to quit houdini and restart.