Waterfall Effects Utilizing New Particle Slide

brucegregory

We have all been awed by recent theatrical special effects involving flowing water, especially flowing and falling water as seen in a waterfall. Using the new particle sliding abilities of version 6, how would a beginner begin to simulate such a waterfall.

Not knowing much, I would guess it has something to do with metaballs for the actual water particles, and then it seems fairly simple to follow along with the particle sliding video tutorial regarding friction and clinginess of particles. Would someone care to enlighten us beginners here?

Greg Smith

We have all been awed by recent theatrical special effects involving flowing water, especially flowing and falling water as seen in a waterfall.

What exactly were you thinking of?

If you have the Episode 1 dvd laying around somewhere, they actually have a bit of a waterfall tutorial in there. It's probably in the section where they discuss adding new scenes for the dvd.

-jz

Steven:

Yes, I did look at it and render some frames, but can't say that I begin to understand what he is doing there. Although .otl's encapsulate a given process and make it portable, they don't really lend themselves to a step-by-step method of learning for those not privy to their methods. Now, for folks that are accustomed to learning by taking something apart, (like their father's favorite radio), and seeing what makes it tick, and can actually learn by doing so, the .otl is just what the doctor ordered.

In my own case, I tried taking things apart as a kid, (like my father's favorite radio), and was amazed at all of the beautiful and apparently functional parts inside, but I didn't possess the intuition or the inclination to try, from scratch, to determine what part each transistor and resistor and circuit and magnet played in producing sound from the thing. I can only hope there are other ways of learning this fantastically functional program.

Greg Smith