SESI Internship - for those who's been out of school for some time

Hi folks,

This is my first post, so I hope I can get some insight about the SESI internship. I've been offered one, and I am super interested in taking it. I just have some concerns. I have been out of school for sometime and have had a few years of production experience. I was told by a recruiter at the studio I was working at that it would be 'a step-backwards' as internships are meant for students/recent grads. I have worked on feature films now so I am not as 'JR' as I used to be, but would it be beneficial at this stage to take the internship? Or will I be considered more 'JR' at the end of it? Do you think other recruiters from bigger studios consider this a 'step-backwards' too?

Thanks so much!

• Downvote 1

Hi folks,

This is my first post, so I hope I can get some insight about the SESI internship. I've been offered one, and I am super interested in taking it. I just have some concerns. I have been out of school for sometime and have had a few years of production experience. I was told by a recruiter at the studio I was working at that it would be 'a step-backwards' as internships are meant for students/recent grads. I have worked on feature films now so I am not as 'JR' as I used to be, but would it be beneficial at this stage to take the internship? Or will I be considered more 'JR' at the end of it? Do you think other recruiters from bigger studios consider this a 'step-backwards' too?

Thanks so much!

Hey,

I totally disagree about it being a step backwards, instead in your position as a more experience artist you'll be able to really take advantage of the wealth of information you'll have access at SESI. Sure, they are not a production studio and because of that they operate a bit more loosely sometime, but that's where your experience will count and help you keep focused in how the techniques you are learning apply to a real studio environment.

I got hired after my internship at SESI and had also been out of school for a while, although for me was a different career altogether. My experience at SESI was always seen positively by people I talk to, even before I started. Besides, it's not what recruiters think, but what you take form the experience and how you sell yourself. ;)

I'd definitely recommend.

Cheers

Edited by rafaelfs

Hi folks,

Thanks so much!

Without declaring what your objectives are for the next few years in your career it's impossible for anyone to comment about what "direction" this would take you. A step-backwards are just words of caution that you might be headed in the wrong direction, and therefore might not assist you in obtaining your objectives.

Keep in mind that SESI is not a studio. They are a vendor of technologies for studios. An internship at SESI isn't the same as one with ILM or Disney, but without knowing what your goals are this assumes you give a darn about places like that.

I have worked on feature films now so I am not as 'JR' as I used to be, but would it be beneficial at this stage to take the internship?

Don't worry about job titles.

What matters is the $$$. At the end of the day what you take home is what matters, and enjoying what you do ensures you take it home for a longer period. I expect an internship will be a pay cut, and less responsibilities. If you have no other offers on the table and you need a job, then take it but keep looking. SESI can't expect an intern with experience to stay very long if they have talent.

Or will I be considered more 'JR' at the end of it?

Do what you want, and fuck the rest. Don't worry what others think about you or what you choose to do with your career. Albert Einstein worked at a patent office as a junior clerk. You'll be judged not by where you work or what title you have, but by what you have achieved and have to offer.

Do you think other recruiters from bigger studios consider this a 'step-backwards' too?

Recruiters are mostly brain dead idiots who don't know a thing about the jobs they are trying to hire people for. Impressing a recruiter only gets you one step into the door. The decision maker who will hire you knows the truth about what it takes to make it in this industry.

If you develop your talent, then you will by pass recruiters using referrals to get to the right people.

With that said, SESI is a great place to get referrals ;)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

Hi folks,

Thanks so much!

I can share my experience.I had a 6 years exp as a cg generalist and was learning houdini on a side and took up a 4 months intern at Toronto office as a final stab at fx.

I got a fx job right after SESI intern and been busy for last 2 years.If you have no prior fx background, you will start as a jr/shot artist but the title are just that title.If you are good, you will be up the ladder in no time.so no , it's not a step back!

Edited by altbighead

I've been a professional for 6 years now and if I had the means available to take a bit of time off to be an intern at SESI I'd jump at the chance.

A bit of time out of the chaos, all that direct information at your fingertips and the industry experience you have to inspire you to learn as much as you can before you go back to the mad house would be invaluable in my mind.

But it really depends on your current situation. For me it's not possible as I have to pay to many bills and other boring things, but if I was "comfortable" I'd be there in a second.

C

I agree that it depends on what you want.

I interned with SESI in 2010, back then I did have a bit of production experience using Maya, but none in Houdini. The internship helped to get my Houdini Skills on production level and get a deep understanding of DOP's.

Looking back, I would say if you want to become a TD, build tools, write scripts, HDA's, etc. The internship might be a good place to boost your skills. Most of them are programmers and these people represent an unlimited knowledge of Houdini. They write the code, so they know how things work.

The internship is all about learning Houdini and create material for the media department, example files, etc. But, as in my case or Coen who worked on the pyro stuff, if you have a good idea, you might get a R&D task assigned. They might have Obolt focussed tasks as well.

To top it up, I would advice you to have a chat with SESI. Discuss what they can offer you and if it might fit your needs. From my own experiences, 800 Canadian Dollars a month is not a lot, it barley covered the rent. If you go, Toronto is the place to be, that's where the developers are.

Good luck,

thanks for all your input everyone. I want to be a skilled TD and build tools, etc, so I know in my gut the SESI internship would be awesome. But yeah, $800/month isn't very much, and I've got financial obligations that may stand in my way. I have some time to plan some stuff out, and if there is absolutely nothing going on for me here, Toronto, might just be the option.

They classify it as a 'learning opportunity'. Not entirely sure about the hours - but I imagine it's full time. Anyone know of any studios in Toronto that are looking for Night Shift Render Wranglers?

It's full time, you can try to bargain for a part-time internship, which IMO kind of defeats the purpose...

I don't know about night shift render wrangler, but Mr. X is looking for FX artist (Houdini).

Cheers

Edited by rafaelfs

I've come a across a bunch of people who were former SESI interns. Seems like they make good TDs in the end. :)

i personally wd never doubt on that . being there .. oh my .. they even pay you !

if i could had such a chance , i wd had found a secondary job . yes , i wd !

.cheers