MilanSuk

Hi,
In attachment you can find BulletSOP 2.0 beta v6! It's probably last beta. Official 2.0 version is coming.

BulletSOP is implementation of Bullet library 2.81(bulletphysics.org) inside SideFx Houdini. It's a plugin for creating incredible rigid body simulations.
Primary it is single-thread application, but speed is very impressive. Memory footprint as well.

The plugin is free and without any limits! So you can create true stunning massive simulations.
This version is for Windows(64bit), more are coming soon.

In attachment you can find example file with a lot of scenes, which are probably the best learning resources at this moment.
For more info you can check my videos: https://vimeo.com/user3251535
I'm making more tutorials soon. And remember "Details view" is your best friend!!!

In this release I mostly concentrated on object parenting and exploding convex and concave objects, because I received many question about that. Now It work properly!
Changes:
- added initial rotation for objects
- added compound object(object parenting)
- prepare node has many new features(padding, decomposition, ...)
- fixed few bugs

LinkedIn group: http://www.linkedin....Houdini-4796605
Some info about this project: http://www.sidefx.co...wtopic&p=127978

Regards,
Milan Suk

EDIT: The latest BulletSOP 2.0.7 - http://forums.odforc...-bulletsop-207/

BulletSOP_2_beta_v6.zip

Edited by MilanSuk
  • Like 4

Thank you to everyone!

I'm preparing some video about BulletSOP and I need to confirm this test.

It's comparison between bulletSOP and bulletDOP. Did I make some mistakes? Is BulletDOP memory-intensive? Is there some way how to speed up?

Thanks for all your help :)

EDIT: I reuploaded scene!

post-9164-0-02589300-1368715597_thumb.pn

DOP_vs_SOP_voronoi_speed_test.hipnc

Edited by MilanSuk

nice, I hate dops, thanks for sharing it

thx, DOPs are not bad. I'm preparing little presentation about this project, where is part, which is about: "Why I chose SOPs". It will be online this week!

Anyway, We are trying some double-precision stuff and in next version you can expect few optimalization(btBuild has pretty speedUp) :)

Thanks for the new version Milan!

I read something about GPU accelerated rigid bodys in the new Bullet 3.0 version. Is it possible to implement this as well and do you have plans to do it?

Edited by OrangeSed

Thanks for the new version Milan!

I read something about GPU accelerated rigid bodys in the new Bullet 3.0 version. Is it possible to implement this as well and do you have plans to do it?

Thank you,

Of course I will. But I'm waiting on official Bullet 3.0 version. At this moment There is only WIP: https://github.com/e...coumans/bullet3

But I think that GPU will have problem with amount of RAM, so You will not be able to do some very large simulations.

And Of course If OpenCL will run on CPU, It will burn your computer and "classic" RAMs are cheap :D

EDIT: I didn't mention that source code is ready for implementing some other solver(s) than Bullet, but you get more info in incoming video :)

Edited by MilanSuk

Sounds awesome :D

And if the GPU solving is so fast perhaps it makes sense to split larger simulations in different smaller ones. Besides your solver is very memory friendly. In your testscene with 4000 pieces it needs 600MB of RAM only. So with a graphicscard with 3GB of RAM should not work so bad :)

Other solvers?? That sounds even more interesting...when is your video ready? :D

Sounds awesome :D

And if the GPU solving is so fast perhaps it makes sense to split larger simulations in different smaller ones. Besides your solver is very memory friendly. In your testscene with 4000 pieces it needs 600MB of RAM only. So with a graphicscard with 3GB of RAM should not work so bad :)

Other solvers?? That sounds even more interesting...when is your video ready? :D

This is looking awesome, esp when Bullet can run on the GPU! Any chance of a linux version at all?

I don't know, When Bullet 3.0 will come, but When It happen, I will work on it :)

I' gonna work(test) Linux version tomorrow. So you get it soon!

ok, I'm just finally finished commenting source code(over 1000 comments) and It's completely without warnings for both Windows and Linux!

I successfully compiled Linux version as well. I shortly tested it and It's probably slightly faster than win version :o

Cheers, can't wait to test it!

If you have nothing to do over the weekend, send me email and I will send you the latest Linux version ;)