Mantra PBR - light/object scoping at shader level

stevegh

Hey Dany,

A particular effect no, but a lot of times using V-Ray for product work I find myself wanting to exclude certain objects/lights from a material (without using the V-Ray SDK this isn't quite possible). Since this can be done at object level I'm wondering how it could be achieved in the shader using PBR. If this isn't at all possible I suppose I can live without it.

Also, as a side note, are there any examples of SHOPs written for the HDK living anywhere?

if you remove Light/Reflection/Refraction Mask (or other) Rendering Parameters from your objects

then just add them to Property shader of your Material so that every object with that material will inherit that masking

(you can as well use Categories with Light/Reflection/Refraction Selection Rendering Parameters if you want)

just be aware that masking/categorie selections don't work in very useful way with PBR, but try and see for yourself it it's good for your case

I have noticed that with Reflection/Refraction masks at object level, once the ray gets to this object it will return black rather that pass through it. I haven't tested this with non-PBR yet but I would hope this doesn't happen. Is there no workaround for this in PBR?

• 2 months later...

I have noticed that with Reflection/Refraction masks at object level, once the ray gets to this object it will return black rather that pass through it. I haven't tested this with non-PBR yet but I would hope this doesn't happen. Is there no workaround for this in PBR?

Good question, facing the same issue right now! Any solutions?