findattribval VOP - what it returns ?

Hi.

There are series of nodes in Vop Sop:

-findattribvalindex - return a element id while you point an index;

- findattribvalcount - return a count of elements that have the attribute value match to desired( i don't get why it's output called elemId);

- findattribval - and what this node return ??

Here a simple example. Count of red prims - 6.

findattribvalcount return - 6 Ok

findattribvalindex - if you scrub the index slider return 0,1,2,3,4,5 - all prims numbers - Ok

findattribval - ??

jb_findByAttrval.hipnc

findattribvalindex - returns element id of the i-th element where and attribute value equals the search value (i is index)

findattribvalcount - returns a number of elements whose attribute value matches the search value

findattribval - returns element id of the first element where and attribute value equals the search value (like findattribvalindex with index 0)

actually findattribvalindex and findattribval calls just different definition of the same VEX function called findattribval()

so maybe if you don't need to specify index it will perform faster and that's why you have both options

Thanks Tomas.

You right, in findattribval node function call without last argument (i forgot that it's possible to view VEX code). Seems it cause to return first match id like you say.

But anyway it can be more precisely pointed what it return in Help.

P/s/ There are no definition of "findattribval" function in the VEX help reference.

Edited by jbond