Performance boost idea's

kgoossens

Hi I'm looking for Idea's on how to increase modeling performance for my courses I teach.

There are many things that come to mind.

-Using wrangle nodes.

-Building custom versions of some existing nodes with limited functionality such as a vop's ray node.

-Using attribute transfer instead of ray sop

-Using point clouds.

-Avoiding foreach nodes.

-creating a minimalistic representation of the final result for fast turnaround times.

-unloading of nodes

Any other things, techniques for a specific solution, like the "Group in Mesh" on Orbolt from Sergei Bolisov. would be very welcome to hear about.

Cheers,

Kim

• Like 1

Recently I found foreach with variatioin attribute usually make it way faster (so, make it possible to use ;)) than just iterating all prims/points. It doesn't always work. But if you know when you can use it, it can be really powerful.

Example file and otl attatched.

foreach_with_vari_attrib.hipnc

yb_curve_tools.otl

yb_timeshift_pp.otl

So when you unload it, the memory of the node will not be cached AFAIK. Imagine a very expensive operation that stores copies of the meshes to calculate a final result. You don't necessarily want to keep them in memory after it's done cooking.

• 3 weeks later...

To my knowledge unloading is only really effective if you are not doing a recursive or manual operation on or from an unloaded node.

Otherwise it will have to recook the node constantly and with recursive nodes it can increase cooking time significantly.

Starting from Houdini 13 you'll be able to create polygonal geometry using Wrange nodes.

Things like making curve connections between points based on distance is really neat, and it can be made 100x faster & memory efficient with a wrangle node then doing it with a for-each node.

Starting from Houdini 13 you'll be able to create polygonal geometry using Wrange nodes.

Things like making curve connections between points based on distance is really neat, and it can be made 100x faster & memory efficient with a wrangle node then doing it with a for-each node.

That's great! Thank you for letting me know!