using to cull?

the subject line should read "using vops to cull"

i have an object i want to render with transparency but i only want the faces facing the camera to render transparent and the rest to not render at all. for example, i have a head but i can see the inner geometry of the ear , mouth eyeballs etc.. since they are inside the head i don't want them to render at all...any ideas?

thanks,

davo

Hi Davo,

You shouldn't need to use VOPs for this. Under the Shading tab of the Object, please turn on "Backface Removal". The option tells mantra to not render faces if their normal is pointing away from the camera.

Please let us know if this is what you're looking for.

Cheers!

steven

Here is the other half of the issue more specifically...

Overlapping surfaces add their transparencies together which

doesn't look right for what i am doing. for example if you are looking at the legs of my object from a 3/4 quarter view you will see the the first leg transparent....where the first leg overlaps the front faces of the second leg there is a doubling of the color values (which is completely to be expected) but how would i create a shader to ignore that second surface is there is another surface infront of it?

Thanks,

Davo