Unable to obtain stamp variable properly

Dear friends,

I am trying to place a different texture map on different boxes that have been copied to a grid.

In the 'uvquickshade' node I used this expression : $HIP/texture.`stamp("../copy1", "tex" , 2 )`.jpg to obtain the value of the texture file number (tex) which was calculated as a copy sop stamp variable.

However the copy stamping did not work and I always end up with the default value of 2, so only "$HIP/texture.2.jpg" is mapped to all the boxes.

What am I doing wrong?

I attached the zip of all required files.

Thanks

odforceEnquiry.zip

Unfortunately you can't simply copy stamp materials like this. The UVQuickShade is applying a material and there's no way to copy/stamp that in this case since the material inside is just being assigned and Houdini is using whatever the values on the node currently are when displaying the textures in the viewer. You would probably be better of making 4 copies of the UVQuickShade with the specific textures assigned and using your stamp expression in a switch.

Which is what I eventually did.

However I was hoping for a more elegant approach and what if I have more than 20 or 30 different textures which I want to randomly assign to copied objects...30 uvquickshades to a switch will be tough.

Thanks for your help Graham.

Edited by siberian711

you can override texture on material by creating string attribute of the same name as texture parameter on material and vary texture path in that attribute per polygon using attribcreate, copystamping, vops, literally anything

you can as well define overrides in Material SOP

an example of varying textures:

• 3 weeks later...