X11 inside windoze

miguel m

About 2 years ago I heard about the possibility of running an X server inside windows NT but had never tried it. A few months ago, I saw XFree86 had been compiled into cygwin and today decided to try it, hehe.

In the image you can see fvwm2 running Xfree86 4.2. Also the unix version of emacs and other stuff (sorry, couldn't resist putting xeyes :) ). And of course od[force] by my side.

I think this is a very interesting option for running a whole lot of nice X unix apps out there. I think Opengl works, maybe in software mode, maybe audio as well but I doubt it.

post-12-1029973775.jpg

hi, for that screenshot i didn't start a remote session. Those tools are compiled for cygwin, so they can be executed under win32. Their source code is pretty much the same as for unix platforms but they use the cygwin core (a dll) that acts as a layer between the win32 and unix calls, converts pathnames from/to POSIX, etc

But why use that when I have windoze under linux via MVware? :D

How fast Cygwin is guys?

Err...? What are you talking about? This is about using a Linux-like environment within Windoze.

And about VMWare, I heard good and bad stories about it. And I think I'll be still sticking to Win2K for the time being.

I must also note that I was long a very happy Linux user. When I quit using I was in need for more diskspace (in WinNT) for my 3D projects, since I was running dualboot. So I had to remove Linux in order to repartition it's resulting space. And aside from that, Linux had very little support for modern hardware and software available.

Now that things are changing a lot, I'm preparing myself a possible switch over to Linux (and this time completely, instead of just dualboot).

Talking about the same :) So my question was why get Linux under Windoze when I can have Windoze under Linux ;)

VMVare is not so bad. Basictly, it's the best thing to have Photoshop under Linux I gues. I've heard Dreamworks and others works that way, so for me is also ok :P

@szymon:

The CygWin-Env (shell and tools) is pretty fast. You can use X on a slow box for some tools - but I dont have experiences with graphic-apps (only

one time GIMP).

@Calosus:

CygWin is a package with all the unix-tools like grep, sed, gcc, perl...

you open a shell (bash) and have the complete set on your Windoze-box. There is also a X-server for CygWin to run application remotly on a *nix-box. And the X for CygWin is free!

@Calosus:

you open a shell (bash) and have the complete set on your Windoze-box. There is also a X-server for CygWin to run application remotly on a *nix-box. And the X for CygWin is free!

No kidding!

@Calosus:

you open a  shell (bash) and have the complete set on your Windoze-box. There is also a X-server for CygWin to run application remotly on a *nix-box. And the X for CygWin is free!

No kidding!

@Calosus:

Go to:

http://www.cygwin.com/

and try it ;)

I recommend: dont install the Perl of CygWin - got to Activestate and use this. There are

some additional goodies for Windoze...

@Calosus:

No kidding!

@Calosus:

Go to:

http://www.cygwin.com/

and try it ;)

I recommend: dont install the Perl of CygWin - got to Activestate and use this. There are

some additional goodies for Windoze...

I was being sarcastic :D

I use Cygwin myself aswell.