procedural uving

broomy

Hi all

First off i have been a long time lurker of these forums and have had a lot of inspiration from all the awesome work!

I`m currently learning Houdini for modeling and texturing and im having some difficulty creating uvs in a procedural manor.

I have an asset but for simplicity im interested in how to procedurally generate uvs on something simple for the moment, say a beveled box.

Its easy enough to add a UvUnwrap node and generate 6 seperate uv shells but how would you go about generating a single flattened uv shown in the link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k63u2oszq3qi9n/uvs.png

I have tried using the UvFuse but Im not getting good results as the uvs do fuse but it doesnt move the rest of the uvShell, so i add a smooth node and that distorts the uvs.

Any help would be awesome 

Thanks in advance

David

Hi Marty and thanks for the link

I have previously watch the intro series but re-watched the uv materials and got a little further.  I missed the part about the pelt working on all primitives if there are open edges.  This helped get much closer but there is still a lot of distortion in the uvs.

I have attached what i have so far.  Im wondering how to reduce the distortion now seeing that the basic 6 faces are a single shell

Cheers
David

uvBeveledBox.hipnc

Hello

Hi Marty and thanks for the link

I have previously watch the intro series but re-watched the uv materials and got a little further.  I missed the part about the pelt working on all primitives if there are open edges.  This helped get much closer but there is still a lot of distortion in the uvs.

I have attached what i have so far.  Im wondering how to reduce the distortion now seeing that the basic 6 faces are a single shell

Cheers
David

I downloaded your file and created UVs with your box. I just used Unwrap and then UVtransformed the different shells together. At the end I applied a UVBrush and then a UVFuse. I hope this helps.

Glen

post-6532-0-39334700-1407700995_thumb.jp

Edited by subdproxy

Check out Glen's work above

I`m currently learning Houdini for modeling and texturing and im having some difficulty creating uvs in a procedural manor.

It might also be useful to think of Houdini as also 'always available to for editing', in addition to being procedural.

You'll still need to do the work, via nodes, the advantage being you'll be able to tweak those changes and settings - always.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for taking the time to show me this, I tried your approach of positioning the individual faces myself and initially it didnt work because i want to change the number of bevel repetitions and this broke the vert numbering and as such the uvTransform broke

So I grouped the faces based on normals then mapped them individually as you suggested and everything works, a beveled box where you can change the number of bevels and the uvs all updated correctly :D

Last thing to do know is to make it so that when the box is not at a unit measurement it moves the uv faces to stop any texture stretching.

Is there nothing like an unfold or LSCM mapping in Houdini?

The file if you would like to see it 

Thanks again

uvBeveledBox.hipnc

Edited by broomy

• 3 weeks later...

hi

its been a while since i have had time spend on this but today i did and i have something im happy with 

I have taken some time to make it so the uvs update based on the length/width/height of the box and dependent on bevel iterations.

I imagine that there are simpler ways of achieving this but i dont know them yet :D

Hope you like it 

Dave

uvBeveledBox.hipnc