Houdini 14 Hotkeys - discussion forked from H14 Announcement thread

So, I found the hotkeys somewhat tricky to adjust to (much more at first, when hotkeys were still being tested), and these are some things that have helped me:

• If a hotkey doesn't work, I've started hold shift/ctrl/alt with that key, to see if that works
  • Try to use the existing hotkeys for a few weeks; as you go, if you can't use one after day or so, create one yourself, but keep notes of what you had to change
  • Note all of those hotkeys you had to modify or create, and submit them as an RFE to SideFX
  • Include the RFE number here, so it can be referenced more easily (if you submitted via web form, you'll get it in an email when support adds it to the DB)
Also, I've found it useful to keep in mind this: as jason, halfdan, and others have alluded to, many changes happened for many reasons such as quietly changing networks, not undoable (or only partially so), or in some way requested by users to avoid some penalty that was more costly than changing the workflow. Remembering that, I tend think less about "what the heck..." and more of "okay, where did it move to..."

Does everyone know how to change/search for hotkeys?
Edited by goldleaf

Guest mantragora

I'm reposting couple things from Softimage part of the forum because they are on topic.

mantragora wrote:

If SESI wants to revamp selections they should start by providing all the old functionality FIRST and THEN expand on it. Instead they removed many options and what we got back sometimes require from us to click many times more or even doesn't have functional equivalent.

McNistor wrote:

If old functionality is bad, then it should be removed not expand on it. Using two keys on the other side of the keyboard just for loop/ring selection was hardly a modeler's wet dream.

I don't know what options have been removed, so please explain. I know there was one "walking" IIRC or something like that and I must admit that I'm ignorant about it - never used a similar one in Softimage therefore I might not know what I'm missing.

mantragora wrote:

Well, we had one key to select boundary of hole in geometry, right now we have to SHIFT + A + LMB as many times as we need to cover whole hole.

mantragora wrote:

Why mouse LMB and MMB are doing the same? Why I can select with both?

McNistor wrote:

But they don't do the same. Are we talking about loop/ring selection? 'Cause they don't...

mantragora wrote:

Nope, simple SHIFT + LMB or SHIFT + MMB.

mantragora wrote:

When SHIFT is pressed RMB is doing nothing, maybe it could be used as Remove from selection? There are many more examples when Mouse buttons are free not doing anything and they could be used instead of additional keyboard modifiers.

McNistor wrote:

To remove from selection you press Ctrl, like you do in many OS's and 3d apps. Not that this should matter but it is convenient nonetheless.

Shift+RMB does nothing indeed and with this occasion I propose that we use this for a different menu to the simple RMB one. We'll think about something, I'm sure we'll run out of menus before of tools to put in them.

mantragora wrote:

It was just a proposition.

SHIFT + RMB is used as repeat last action when you havse selected something and you made some operation before (for example delete or group). Why? o_O

mantragora wrote:

Double LMB should create edge loop. Fast and simple.

I like Blender solution:

Some things could be adapted form it.

McNistor wrote:

Simple yes, fast no.

When Adsk took over Softimage they implemented exactly this (to make Maya users feel more at home I presume) and I've had plenty of time to use it. To this day I still use the Softimage model (which is very similar to H14) because it's a lot faster.

Just think about it, what's faster:

a. Shift + double LMB to add to selection for each loop

b. hold Shift + MMB on each loop?

mantragora wrote:

Double LMB WITHOUT pressed any key should create loop. SHIFT + Double LMB to add to selection.

Right now you have to have pressed A + MMB or SHIFT + A + MMB to add to selection.

McNistor wrote:

This is not the first time I ask this question and I still don't understand how someone can choose 1 over 2. It's basically one (1) click vs two (2) clicks, ergo double the work.

mantragora wrote:

That's why I don't understand why you want to replace 1 or 2 keys (my version) with 2 or 3 keys () your version) :)

EDIT: Oh, and Double clicking on Geometry without selected anything should select all elements of the type we are in currently.

If polygon selection than select all polygons. If point selection then select all points.

If edge... you know the story.

@pavelPeh

I think if they start to use double click as separate command it may speedup everything.

Double click on poligon -> select connected pieces

Double click on edge->select loop

Double click on border edge -> select border

Shift + Double click to do partial loop/ring selection

etc.

Yeah, I know its AD again...

This will free several hotkeys also

Now lets continue here.

Edited by mantragora
  • Like 1

So, I said that I don't want to talk about selection any longer and I'm still behind that statement but I'd like to close with two things (hm this "two things" re-occurrence starts to worry me):

one is that you're not considering a lot of stuff due to lack of experience with this new Houdini (Softimage) selection model. For example:

Double LMB WITHOUT pressed any key should create loop. SHIFT + Double LMB to add to selection.
Right now you have to have pressed A + MMB or SHIFT + A + MMB to add to selection.

You just count the number of keys and mouse buttons used (not clicks) and conclude that it's worse. Problem is, the keys are just held pressed while you single click around. It's miles better to hold down two keys and single click for each loop than to hold one key and double click for each loop. It's better because it's faster, not necessarily easier to perform.

Another point is this: Softimage model and consequently Houdini's, is a production proven model that delighted many users for lots of years.

It might be anecdotal evidence, but I know of no Softimage user that loved to model in Maya but I know quite a few Maya users that started using Softimage and never wanted to go back to Maya, at least not for poly modeling

Edited by McNistor

Guest mantragora

So, I said that I don't want to talk about selection any longer and I'm still behind that statement but I'd like to close with two things (hm this "two things" re-occurrence starts to worry me):

one is that you're not considering a lot of stuff due to lack of experience with this new Houdini (Softimage) selection model. For example:

You just count the number of keys and mouse buttons used (not clicks) and conclude that it's worse. Problem is, the keys are just held pressed while you single click around. It's miles better to hold down two keys and single click for each loop than to hold one key and double click for each loop. It's better because it's faster, not necessarily easier to perform.

Double LMB clicking is more natural than pressing combo of keys which is more natural for Mortal Kombat game.

Another point is this: Softimage model and consequently Houdini's, is a production proven model that delighted many users for lots of years.

It might be anecdotal evidence, but I know of no Softimage user that loved to model in Maya but I know quite a few Maya users that started using Softimage and never wanted to go back to Maya, at least not for poly modeling

I know no Modo user that loved to model in Maya or Softimage, and I have whole Polycount forum (full of modelers working around the world in best game companies) that says it beats by a long shoot any modelling application that you can find out there (with 3-4 guys that still prefer 3DSmax Stack ;)).

I wonder what Cinema4D guys have to say? Anyone here uses it?

Edited by mantragora