Rendering only volume selfshadows

Hello

I'm playing with Cloud FX tools.

I have a case where I'd like to prevent three xyz aligned distant lights used to render worldspace normals for clouds from casting shadows from a volume primitive onto another.

The image shows right most cloud blocking the red distant light from the left cloud thus resulting lost X component of the worldspace normal for the feft one.

What options there are to control shadows when doing volume rendering? Is there a better way to extract this type of worldspace normal information for each cloud primitive?

post-1686-0-14573900-1424981091_thumb.jp

Hello, good sir.

I would take a gradient volume sample in the shader and use that as the normal. Of course you lose the intra-cloud self-shadowing, which might be a good or a bad thing, depending what you are using this for. If it's for lighting, then bad, but if you really want the normals, then good :)

If you only have a couple of primitives you could duplicate the lights, and use the Light Mask on an object to restrict a given light to just affecting that object, and only add that object to the light's Shadow Mask so that no other objects shadow it. A bit clunky and not pretty, but in real pinch you could script the boring bits..

ee_shadow_restricting.hip

Well good morning there houmie!

Yeah I fiddled around with the gradient trick. As I'm anyway planning to post-light the clouds and use a loose z-buffer rendered from their iso-surfaces to raymarch some kind of shadows in realtime, the loss of intra-cloud self-shadowing shouldn't be an issue.

But if I happened to need this 3 distant lights per every cloud primitive -setup, I guess making a single cloud to a HDA with the three light rig included and masked only for the contents of their own HDA could work. Then just populate these HDAs all-over to create a cloudy sky.

BTW here's an example showing lightmasking done from the SOPs level.

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/21946-per-primitive-light-or-per-light-material-in-mantra/

Thanks!

Edited by Hazoc