"Colgate" shader

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this isnt' the right place to post my question, anyway -

shader link

Can somebody tell me a reference/manual so that I could learn how to creat something similiar? Or may be some ideas how to create a shader like this? What I especially like about it is it's blurry refractions.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this isnt' the right place to post my question, anyway -

shader link

Can somebody tell me a reference/manual so that I could learn how to creat something similiar?  Or  may be some ideas how to create a shader like this?  What I especially like about it is it's blurry refractions.

Thanks.

14343[/snapback]

Here are a few hints -

While there are 2D/Compositing tricks you can do to make this happen, you might just want to render it all in 3D. Look into the Refracted Light VOP and you'll see cone sampling parameters. This sends out rays in a cone and averages them, giving a blurred look. Now you may want to do something some advanced too, like spray your own rays and attenuate the returned color from those rays by the distance it had to travel through the plastic. The plastic is really like a dense coloured atmosphere. This gets a little trickier but can really sell the depth.

Try it and post your results. :)

If you do want to do it as a compositing trick you could render the interior and blur it in the composite by channel referencing the distance from the 3D camera to the 3D object and multiply the 2D blur amount by the 3D distance value. This way the blur would react properly to distance changes. A similar method was used (although in render) to generate the interior masses of some of the aquarium fish in Finding Nemo in order to provide a semi-transluscent effect.

stu

• 2 weeks later...
If you do want to do it as a compositing trick you could render the interior and blur it in the composite by channel referencing the distance from the 3D camera to the 3D object and multiply the 2D blur amount by the 3D distance value. This way the blur would react properly to distance changes. A similar method was used (although in render) to generate the interior masses of some of the aquarium fish in Finding Nemo in order to provide a semi-transluscent effect.

stu

14345[/snapback]

Sounds interesting, I might want to try this...

hey MADjestic

Renderman phings

check out that link, theres alot of information about rendering and shaders, both theory and specifically prman. At the bottom, theres some PRMAN pdfs that are really good if u wanna get into shading et al.

specifically theres information on how to create jelly with prman, it basically expands what jason mentioned about having atmosphere within ur object and blurry refractions theory.

im not too sure which out of the pdf's this technique is mentioned, but i think its one of the last two. ;)

anyways, hope this helps.

all the best

aracid :blink: