Rendering Meteor

Hi all, 

I'm attempting to render a simulated comet into something that looks reasonable, but my results so far are terrible... 

In my scene I have a sphere tracking a curve sourcing a fiery smoke and particles, the latter in turn sourcing more smoke. The general setup is okay but the render is lackluster...

Does anyone have any good resources or suggestions on rendering out flames, smoke, explosions etc that they may have used? Or if anyone wants to have a look I've attached the scene and some screenshots of what I have...

post-12939-0-56508800-1432106531_thumb.j

post-12939-0-32193600-1432106545_thumb.j

comet_01.hipnc

Edited by kayman

Hi all, 

I'm attempting to render a simulated comet into something that looks reasonable, but my results so far are terrible... 

Well said :)

So you want to play with a simple fireball effect first before committing to a moving meteor.  the shader can have an enormous effect on the final look. See screengrabs on how one tiny little change in the ramp changes the look

EDIT: Added a stylish frames I couldn't resist trying :)

Fireball.hip

post-8321-0-78545600-1432184642_thumb.pn

FieryBall.hip.zip

post-8321-0-78112100-1432192917_thumb.pn

Edited by tar

Haha wow that's awesome Marty. I like the way you set up the smoke for the meteor, very efficient. :) Lots to learn here!

I'll see if I can figure out how to get the whole thing moving across the screen... I've been looking into the pyroclastic smoke sims around the forums for the smoke trail, which could be amazing.

Edited by kayman

u can check above link

ajay bisht

Thanks Ajay - can you please upload your hip file.  Showing a render doesn't help anyone to learn much.

Thanks!

Edited by tar

So how do you cache a smoke sim?

I click on Save To Disk inside the pyro_sim network but nothing seems to happen. I have pointed the output file to a valid folder.

I can cache about 60 frames in memory, but how would I make longer simulation?

Also, once I have sim files, where do I install them so I can get real-time playback?

Thanks

Thanks for the example file Marty.

I baked out the RED boxes then took that filename and pasted in the top of the GREEN box.

I baked out the GREEN boxes and then took that file name and pasted it into the File node for viewport display.

Now I have real-time playback.