Irradiance issues

Hi all.

Im' trying to learn GI in Houdini, my first attemp is to get irradiance effects.

I began with the GI irradiance video tutorial for H6.

I use the tutorial scene with the VEX GI shader, set the Irradiance to Full Irradiance.

Ok i've tested with different samples values and i get worse results than prman 11, but it needs more testing. My doubts began with the irradiance caching method used by H7. If i check Irradiance Caching in the Specific tab of a Mantra ROP, the cache is done in RAM?, because i don't specifying any cache file.This cache is like an .icf prman cache file? so it gets irradiance plus ambient occlusion? For the irradiance effect the render computes the shaders or only a "model of the shader" like prman?

The default error parameter is the same like the attribute "irradiance" "maxerror" of prman?

When i try to save the irradiance cache to a file, put the filename and sets File Mode to Write Only, render again, but no file is created :( Am i making some mistakes in the setup?

How can i see a photon map? (is there any app like the pixar's ptviewer?)

What is a direct photon map?

And for the last, how can i set what lights must emit photons?

Sorry for the message extension and thanks for you answers.

hey lisux

to create ur GI map on ur HD, under ur GI Shop, theres a photon map tab, specify ur map there, and under ur irradiance caching, under ur mantra ROP.

then specify write to create and read to bla bla bla. im sure u know what i mean.

just checking now, it doesnt seem to write the file out if u dont specify it under ur SHOP.

For the irradiance effect the render computes the shaders or only a "model of the shader" like prman?
im not too sure what u mean by that ;)

ill try answer more a bit later

aracid :blink:

For the irradiance effect the render computes the shaders or only a "model of the shader" like prman?

I think I see what you're getting at. I would assume that mantra actually evaluates the shader and does not just use an approximation of the diffuse colour for the irradiance calculations. I remember back in the BMRT days that when using a texture map you'd have to pass the irradiance solution an "average colour" to represent the texture - it wouldn't actually evaluate the surface shader to find out what colour the surface was actually going to be before bouncing light.

stu

hey lisux

to create ur GI map on ur HD, under ur GI Shop, theres a photon map tab, specify ur map there, and under ur irradiance caching, under ur mantra ROP.

then specify write to create and read to bla bla bla. im sure u know what i mean.

just checking now, it doesnt seem to write the file out if u dont specify it under ur SHOP.

I put the photon map name in the Specific tab and mantra ROP generates a photon map, then i put the name in the GI SHOP and the shader uses it.

Thats OK, but if i check Irradiance caching, put a file name in de Cache file, set Read/Write or Write only and render, no file is created :(.

So ican generate photon maps files but not irradiance cache files.

And in the GI SHOP you can see direct photon map, what is this?