Grouping Leaves on Trees

logix1390

Hey ,

I have a tree model and I am trying to separate the leaves from it . Basically I am attempting to group the border edges of the leaves and then convert those edges into faces. However, It only groups the inside faces, not all of them. I also notices their are a few faces selected on the branches as well. Maybe the geo wasn't prepared properly for this ? Their has to be a way.

I attached my file and .abc file if anyone wants to take a look.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

TREE_ALEMBIC_GEO.abc

tree_grouping.hip

since all your leaves have vertexcount either 46 or 47 you can use that to isolate them in groups, similarly you can use that to isolate the fruits or branch tips

to avoid slow foeachloop, you can convert them to polysoups and then get vertexcount per polysoup primitive in wrangle and create groups, see the file:

tree_grouping_byvertexcount.hip

EDIT: actually looks like some fruits have vertex count 47 as well, never mind then :)

if you do it by area then still do it per area of the whole piece and not individual polygons, so still converting to polysoup and getting the area of each piece helps avoiding foreach loop, but the safest is to do it by both as some leaves have the area around the same as some branches

here is the revised file:

tree_grouping_by_nvtx_and_area.hip

Edited by anim