Rendering Artifacts

When I render an identical scene with an identical setup using houdini's GI light VEX shader, I get a rendering artifact in version 7+ that did not exist in version 6:

Version 6:

post-237-1115473708_thumb.jpg

Version 7:

post-237-1115473730_thumb.jpg

Has anyone else run into this problem?

stu

i haven't done much gi since 7 came out.. but a few days ago i was playing around with something and decided to throw a gi light in with the vex shader.. i don't remember all the specific settings i had but i noticed an occasional black pixel on my one surface.. it wasn't for anything important, so i never investigated..

maybe the best thing to do is post a file of that scene for us to test out? or possibly just go and create a new scene from scratch (grid with sphere) and try it?

sorry, not much help :unsure:

I recall the sampling of or tracing against quads changed a while back, I think. Maybe it had negative effects?

Also, the mantra oren-nayer diffuse function has traditionally had artifacts on smoothed edges - it looks like when the smoothed surface normal rolls away from us. Are you using the clay shader?

Does this only show up when doing GI lighting?

For the surfaces I'm using the VEX Super Material set to Phong Specular right out of the box and yes the problems do seem to occur only with the GI light. Typical light sources, regardless as how the shadows are generated, seem to produce the same result in 6 and 7. I also tend to get more self shadowing problems with the GI light in 7 as well. Weird.

stu

For the surfaces I'm using the VEX Super Material set to Phong Specular right out of the box and yes the problems do seem to occur only with the GI light. Typical light sources, regardless as how the shadows are generated, seem to produce the same result in 6 and 7. I also tend to get more self shadowing problems with the GI light in 7 as well. Weird.

stu

18037[/snapback]

What is the type of Geometry you're rendering?