volume procedural bbox trouble

I'm rendering a couple of volumes with cvex and the volume procedural. I've pointed the bbox path to a SOP, and everything works as I want it. But sometimes when I render on our farm, that bounding box somehow gets screwed up and cuts my volumes in half. It never happens locally, and only sometimes on the farm seemingly at random. I can submit a render, it screws up, I submit again, and it works. I have NO idea what is going on, but it feels like it sometimes just stops evaluating the bounding box path and just takes the first frame (or something).

My volume (simulation) is moving from one spot to another, and as long as it stays in that original position it works fine which leads me to believe it simply just stops evaluating the bbox as time goes on and the volume eventually moves out of the initial bbox. But only sometimes.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Have I forgotten something? Like a checkbox on the mantra rop to "force evaluate everything", I don't know. I'm lost.