Sop material override with per particle colors

FXslogger

Hey, this may not be possible, but I have a material override applied to an object that I am instancing the. The material override is applied at the sop level of the object. That way I can assign per primitive materials, settings.

I want to vary the color of my instance passing the point color through the instance node. I can't seem to do this and assume its because my material override is applied at the sop level. 

I've tried adding the following to my material's base color and material override's base color. No luck.

point("/obj/instance1/OUT", instancepoint(), "Cd", 0)

If I remove the sop level material override and place the material on either the instance object at object level or my instance node, the color comes through. Is there some kind of work around I could implement?

Much thanks!

color.instanc.1.hip

Edited by FXslogger

you can just a apply a color node and set it to random.

If you want to make it with a material you need to open your material. Right click >  "allow edit of contents"

But it will be a lot easier setting up in Sops 

Edited by Sepu

I've attached a simple test scene. I don't want a random color, I want to pass specific point colors to the instance material override. With a material override specified at the sop level of my instance geom (a box), it doesn't appear to pick up the instancepoint() call. Prob because instance works only at the object level. I'm looking for a work around to keep the material override and allow point colors to pass through.