Dano

What is the proper way in making a Ground Lift effect from an earthquake?

Hi there,

I was wondering what is the proper way in doing a ground lift effect from an earthquake?  right now, I'm using a RBD object underneath the ground pushing the ground up.  An example and a hip file would be awesome!  Thanks! :)

Similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ome9AgnaL5s

There's no such thing as "proper way" in Houdini, there's only better or worse way's, faster or slower way's, more or less controllable way's - and most complex scenes end up being a mixed bag, all of that at once, depending on where you look... ;)

I would set this up heavy to light, big to small, so one sim for the big pieces, cache that. Then you'd start breaking those cached pieces up around the edges, simming that in one go, cache that. Then you'd add the first layer of the road, the second layer, debris, dust with Pyro, etc, caching each step, building it up in layers. So I'd say you're in the right spot to start at least.

Edited by Farmfield
  • Like 3

On 2/27/2017 at 11:16 PM, Dano said:

I was wondering what is the proper way in doing a ground lift effect from an earthquake?

The way that makes the director happy!

• Like 2

On 3/1/2017 at 8:39 AM, Farmfield said:

There's no such thing as "proper way" in Houdini, there's only better or worse way's, faster or slower way's, more or less controllable way's - and most complex scenes end up being a mixed bag, all of that at once, depending on where you look... ;)

I would set this up heavy to light, big to small, so one sim for the big pieces, cache that. Then you'd start breaking those cached pieces up around the edges, simming that in one go, cache that. Then you'd add the first layer of the road, the second layer, debris, dust with Pyro, etc, caching each step, building it up in layers. So I'd say you're in the right spot to start at least.

thsts a good idea, thanks! :)