Hello everyone, 

I'm beginner in water simulation and I would like some tips if it's possible.

For the simulation part, I'm not in trouble for the moment, but the rendering it's another thing.

I'm trying to make an ocean flip simulation of a submarine going out of water, for the ocean shader, I have something pretty good now with ocean spectra and the ocean shader of houdini 16.

The problem is the whitewater, for the ocean surface (the flip mesh) I don't know how to do the white part like in the sreenshot, is it particles, or tweaking the shader with velocity or vorticity, but which parameter in the shader (refraction?) ?flip_surface.PNG

And for the foam, spray, bubbles , I have to render simple particles or do another thing?

Thank's for your help, I want to learn water, it's very fun to do!

I let the breakdown of the screenshot here ;) 

I had a pretty good result in the pass converting white water particles to VDB with Volume Rasterize Points SOP.

Calculate gradient with VDB analizes and use it in a volume shader to calculate reflection. You can use pbrspecular plugged to albedo and added to smoke color.

On top of that add some displacement in shader for finer details.

• 1 year later...
On 19/5/2017 at 11:41 PM, dobin said:

I had a pretty good result in the pass converting white water particles to VDB with Volume Rasterize Points SOP.

Calculate gradient with VDB analizes and use it in a volume shader to calculate reflection. You can use pbrspecular plugged to albedo and added to smoke color.

On top of that add some displacement in shader for finer details.

Hi!,can you post some small sample?

Thanks!