RBD chains on Character

ghenci

Hi all! So here is the problem: there is a character with RBD chains on the body. If the character is static, then the chains normally hang on the body, but as soon as the character starts moving - everything goes to hell. I've tried 2 methods:
1) Replace links with simple spheres and link them with hard constraints.
2) Each link is represented as a set of spheres and solve in this form.

I tried to inrease samples - did not help.

So, what else I can do to simulate this chains? I think that it can be solved with cloth solver, (use some "ribbons" that represents this chains, take centroids of primitves and copy on this points chain links), but I really want to do it with "true" rigid body dynamics. 
So any suggestions?

I attached an archive with 2 scenes and some caches.

By the way, sorry for my bad english.

bug_search.rar

constraints.png

proxy_spheres.png

Edited by ghenci
forgot to upload images

Bashed this together for proof of concept - Seems to work! Obviously you'll have to tune this to your incoming geo, but with for-eaching and what not I'm sure it will be fine. The main thing is managing your piece numbers so the glue constraints don't confused (That's what sprintf is doing in the wrangle). Basically we fracture the links to make everything into quick convex hulls (keeps bullet happy), then glue it together with a strength of -1, meaning it will never break. Each link is glued individually so that's the main thing you'll have to tackle for your model (make sure there are no intersections). I just set the first link to active = 0 so I could test the other links hanging off it. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions. 

bullet_chain_links_01.hip

Edited by adrianr

Thank you guys for your replyes!
@derjcmp - no I didn`t. Truly I never worked with grain solver yet. If somewhere (vimeo, youtube, here on this forum) there are examples of solving a similar problem - it would be interesting to look :)

@adrianr - thank you very much for scene! I'll check it out on my character when I'm a bit free from the current tasks. Now I just do not have time. :-/

And at the moment, the problem is solved as mentioned above - with help of cloth solver.It worked well enough for this particular case. :)

Once again thank you for your tips!