[SOLVED]Adding Noise To A Fan Force?

Atom

Hi All,

I am trying to add noise to a fan so it is not a constant pressure. I have wired in a noise force but I don't experience any change in the pressure of the fan force. Is this the correct way to apply noise to the fan force?

Is there some node I can drop down to visualize a force, like a field?

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Atom

Thank you for the suggestion. I went ahead and set all parameters on the Fan and the Noise to Set Always. Then dialed in the values and it is working now!

I used a fit01 with rand($F) to vary the noise strength in the Y axis and to vary the fan direction. I used the attach to body shelf tool to attach the red grid to an invisible static collision object to keep the center of the cloth on the ground.

cloth_wind_noise_working.gif

ap_cloth_wind_noise.hiplc

Edited by Atom

If you know you want those points to be solid on the floor all the time you could also just set them i@pintoanimation = 1, maybe by something nice like a group by bounding box so you don't have to manually select points. This will have the added benefit of speeding up your sim slightly as these points can essentially be ignored by the solver rather than evaluated as a constraint. Quick performance monitor on 'Nodes' over 100 frames showed 16.1 seconds for constraints vs 9.8 seconds for pintoanim for basically the same look (You loose a bit of ripple initially where the SBD constraint kicks into action before it locks those points down). Obviously if you intend to loosen off the soft constraint a lot then stick with the SBD but just a thought :) 

I wondered about that. So where do I assign the i@pintoanimation attribute? Some where right after grid creation? How do I tell the constraint to use the attribute instead of points? Does it just use the attribute if it is present?