Properly Sourcing Volumes in Pyro

evanrudefx

Hi,

How do I properly source a volume I already created, and use that for pyro? I made a cloud using the cloud node, and added some noise. I am trying to use it as a source for my pyro sim to have dynamic clouds. For some reason, at frame 1 there is no density. Then the volume fills up. Shouldn't the first frame just be the cloud already there? I am trying to learn how to source vdb/volumes that I make and use it as a source for pyro.

Thanks

clouds.hipnc

Edited by ejr32123

Go to the 'Creation' tab on your smoke object and check 'Solve on Creation Frame'. Then on your pyro solver go to Shape / Turbulence / Bindings and change the Density field from temperature to density. Now your cloud will solve on the first frame and your turbulence will work. 

That said I'd just turn off the shaping on the pyro solver itself and use microsolvers. That way you break out more control and can stack various ones, have different ones effect different things etc. 

Alternatively you have an Initial data section on your smoke object which you can specify density. If you're not sourcing anymore density into the sim you could just put your sop path in here and let the sim do its thing. 

Edited by adrianr
  • Like 1

It looks like you are trying to mix two systems that don't exactly go together. The Pyro system expects a volume and you are supplying a VDB. You can convert the VDB to a volume and supply density but the combustion model will not do anything without a temperature field. So you need to supply that field as well. Then basic movement occurs. But this is combustion, not cloud evolution so the result is more smoke like than cloud like.

ap_clouds.hipnc

2 hours ago, Atom said:

It looks like you are trying to mix two systems that don't exactly go together. The Pyro system expects a volume and you are supplying a VDB. You can convert the VDB to a volume and supply density but the combustion model will not do anything without a temperature field. So you need to supply that field as well. Then basic movement occurs. But this is combustion, not cloud evolution so the result is more smoke like than cloud like.

ap_clouds.hipnc

I was told that I pyro can use vdb as a source as long as it has a density field (and it works for me). After doing what adrian said, it works fine for me.