Collision Geometry for Ocean Waves Simulation

EuniceC

Hi

I'm currently trying to simulate a cargo ship moving across an ocean. I've used the Ocean Guided Layer Tank form Houdini16. Right now the collision geometry of my model is wrong and I don't quite know how to fix it. I've tried using the PolyFill node but it only fills half of the ship. I've tried using another PolyFill node to fill the rest of the holes but it's not doing anything and i'm not sure why. I've attached the picture of collision geometry i got and the houdini file here. 

It would be great if I can get some help and advice on this problem. Thanks!

Eunice

OceanWavesTest.hip

ShipCollisionGeo.PNG

The reason why your vdb isn't looking right is because of the way your ship was modeled. It is not a water tight mesh which, is what you need to get a solid vdb. The model has a bunch of intersections and overlapping polygons in it and is probably making the PolyFill SOP confused.

If you are just doing this for practice, I would find another ship to download and use that instead. You will have plenty of time to fix other dept mistakes in your career. If this is for a paid project though, you are going to have to spend the time cleaning this mesh up.

On 6/20/2017 at 1:00 PM, rbowden said:

The reason why your vdb isn't looking right is because of the way your ship was modeled. It is not a water tight mesh which, is what you need to get a solid vdb. The model has a bunch of intersections and overlapping polygons in it and is probably making the PolyFill SOP confused.

If you are just doing this for practice, I would find another ship to download and use that instead. You will have plenty of time to fix other dept mistakes in your career. If this is for a paid project though, you are going to have to spend the time cleaning this mesh up.

That explains it. I realised that there are many holes in that geometry too. Thank you for the advice!