Restarting a simulation from .sim files with Houdini 16

Hi There

I'm writing out a .sim file for every frame of my simulation and would like to restart the simulation from a given frame number but I don't seem to be able to do this.

I have the .sim file path and name entered as the initial state but if I press play or jump into the dop network and save to disk from the given frame number Houdini wants to start at frame 1 and re sim all the way thru.

Am I missing a step here?

As every frame is a .sim file I was assuming I wouldn't need to save checkpoint - am I wrong about this?

thanks in advance.

cheers

Nigel.

• 3 weeks later...

I also facing the same problem..first I was surprised to see that sim files write from frame 1 while my start frame in DOP network is 100, but eventually it sets to 100 once we load from disk. (why it does that I don't know)

I even saved with check points but still it's not helping me to restart my cache from last cached frame.

Any help/info on this would be great.

Thanks

So you've set the initial state parameter on the dop network?

One other thing I noticed, is it appears you can't alter the hip file and be able to re use the sim files even if the change is not related in any way to the generation of the sim files.  I may be wrong about that but I couldn't get it to restart.

In my case, I had sim files for each frame and an initial state loaded but when I started the re sim it began at frame 1 again. In the end I gave up assuming rightly or wrongly that it was because I'd made a change to the hip file.

There is another post around describing the process someone else went thru to restart a sim in Houdini 16 but I can't for the life of me find it right now.

There are a few posts around to describe how to restart a sim but they refer to an explicit cache which I think is now replaced by checkpoints?

Sorry I can't be of more help and I hope I haven't confused the issue.

good luck..

nigel.