Houdini 16 Error after splash screen

Hi Guys

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place but I didn't know where else to post it, I currently can not open/use Houdini 16 on my system and have no real way to investigate why, I have tried installing different builds of H16 and always get the same error usually after I open the software after the splash screen. In the rare event I do get passed the splash screen and able to use H16 it eventually crashes with the same error.

I should mention:

- H15.5 works just fine on my main system.
- H16 works fine on an older unused system I have laying around (much reduced spec than the system I would like to run H16 on).

Main PC Spec:
CPU: 5th gen Intel core i7 hex core
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
RAM: 64GB RAM at 2333MHz
SSD: 512 GB

Old Unused PC Spec That H16 does work on:
CPU: 2nd gen Intel core i7 Quad core
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660TI
RAM 16GB RAM at about 800MHz
SSD: 128GB

I have attached a screen shot of the error, I appreciate this could be anything but if any one knows why this could be happening or even where to start investigating why please get in touch, as I really don't know what to do.

Many Thanks

Nav

houdini_error.jpg

the titlebar says Apprentice...but the executable says houdinifx.....they don't matchup....-> problems

So I don't know your exact problem and not in anyway insinuating anything...just saying those 2 don't match up....

Maybe make sure you are clicking on the right shortcut ?

Edited by Noobini

Hey man, that's interesting... But ive downloaded this directly off of sidefx website so I'm not sure how this would become unmatched.

Forgot to mention that I have also tried to uninstall H15.5 and delete all confif files and still get the same issue with H16. Aside from a reinstall of Windows 10 (which i dont really want to do) im not sure what else to look for... 

hey man, thanks. I have tried this too and this time the application fails again but the title bar and the error message match, everything exactly the same only instead of the the error dialog box saying "houdinifx.exe", it says "happrentice.exe", and then the application crashes as normal.

I have even gone to the extreme measures of reinstalling windows completely clean as if it was a brand new system and this still happens lol, very frustrating now :(

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this issue:

If anyone is interested and is experiencing this issue it seems to be that some systems can't run the qt5 version of houdini 16.... After some research it appears that H16 qt4 is more stable and works fine for me personally on my system and is downloadable on sidefx website on the downloads page but look for houdini 16 qt4. They are the same really except H16 qt5 has more advance features of which im not sure the exact detail and sure I probably wont need.

Thanks

Nav