For Loop - reducing scale over time

Hello all, 

Is there a way to reduce the scale of an object instanced onto points?    Each iteration or copy would be slightly smaller than the original, tapering down over time.  

Im trying to incorporate For Loops into my modeling workflow, and I'm trying to think of a way to add scale and rotation controls.  

Ideally, id like to control the scale with a ramp within a Point or attribute Vop inside the For Loop, but I might not be thinking about this the right way.  

I should add that within the polyextrude, there are some really interesting ways to control the shape and taper of extrusions-- not available in other 3d  packages for modeling purposes I might add--specifically the  spline controls.  Id like to be able to use these concepts while working with curves and lines as well if possible.  

Any thoughts on this?  Thanks in advance!

modeling practice02.hipnc

Edited by JKeil

Hello JKeil 

In the Copy SOP you can use pscale attribute on point to control the scale of the copy 

i made you an example from your file 

for the rotation you can use orient attribute (but it is hard to manage cause it's a quaternion) or rotate the up vector (like you used the tangent one)

look at this doc you have all the attribute you can use on point for controlling instances :

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/copy/instanceattrs

Benjamin

modeling practice02_ben.hipnc

• 5 months later...

What if you wanted non-uniform scale? I see lots of examples of pscale on points that geo gets copied onto, but very little on setting random non uniform scale on the geometry itself. Any ideas on how to do that in a for each by count for instance?

Many thanks,

/Christian

what about this...I could've stopped at the orange block...but thought...nah might as well force meself to practice a compiled block (yellow) so threw that in as well....a bit surprised it gets sluggish quite early already..wasn't expecting this until maybe there's thousands of them boxes ? Anyone knows ?

(disabling Copy Points Attributes helps....a little)

Go to the non uni scale node and play around with the seed/maxscale

nonuniscale.hipnc

Edited by Noobini