What render node is being used?

Hey,

When you use the render button in the toolbox, then click view:Mantra, what render node is it using? It definitely isn't using my render node. It renders from the perspective view as expected but its at some weird resolution and not my render node's settings. It renders at 640 x 465, lol.

What node is it using and how do i edit it?

toolbox render.PNG

Edited by ejr32123

It uses the last selected mantra rop from the list below i.e. mantra_ipr or render_engine.

If you have never selected a rop from the list below it will default to the mantra_ipr rop. Which is an auto generated when one is not created by the user.

/out/mantra_ipr 

The resolution is defined by the camera. With out a camera it's just a strategic guess on Houdini's part on what the resolution should be, often what ever last camera you were using in the viewport.

Normally the resolution is set in the camera object. You can override it in the mantra rop, but usually that is for testing or different render passes.

So in object drop a camera by default /obj/cam1 which will be what the rop is predefined to point at, and you can set your resolution there.

• Confused 1

It was not using the mantra ipr node. I know it because my ipr node had changes to the settings that drastically changed the image. Rendering using the view:mantra did not reflect my settings. I also tried deleted my ipr node so the only node was my render_engine node, and it still did the same thing. It clearly was not using any of my nodes. My camera was 720p. Neither render nodes were overriding the cameras resolution.

edit: To clarify what I meant, I am rendering water. If I don't have enough pixel samples, parts of the water render black. In my IPR and my other render node, I turned up the pixel samples and it fixed the problem. However, when I render using view:mantra, the black dots appeared again because it was not using any of my render nodes in which I had turned up the pixel samples. That's how I know it was not using my nodes. Also, the resolution is not the same.

Edited by ejr32123

so it simply makes a generic hidden Mantra node to render the 'view:' but it should use the one selected if you had RMB on the menu. It's all there in the docs and if you follow that and it doesn't work then it's a bug.  http://127.0.0.1:48627/render/render.html

It's easy to tell if it's uses a hidden Mantra node one as the window size is the same ratio the viewer.