Voronoi fracture ignores some fracture points

Ellyfish

This keeps coming up so I'm afraid I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what. For voronoi fracture, I plug the object I want to fracture into the first input, and the points around which I'd like it to build voronoi cells in the second input. Sometimes, this does exactly what I want. Sometimes, it ignores some of the input points. For example, in my image below, I've plugged in 8 points, all of which are inside the geo, but it's only generated 5 pieces. Has anyone encountered this before, and if so, what did you do about it?

temp.jpg

EDIT: If I throw a pointvop between my input points and the voronoi SOP, randomly offsetting all points by a tiny random vector, it works. Does it not like when points are in a row?

Edited by Ellyfish

The .hip is huge and would probably just confuse things. The loop is just going through a bunch of different blocks and breaking them all separately. All the others that it loops over seem to break up how I'd expect, just this one is being weird.

I offset the points by a tiny random vector and it worked. I'm not sure why. Does it not like collinear points?

Hmm. Sometimes, like this time, I'll scatter some points and fracture, then make new points at the centroid of each fracture piece and fracture the original geo with those points a second time. That helps even out the spacing and fracture into straighter lines; for example if I have a long thin block that bends, and I want it to be fractured into pieces lengthwise, but don't know its orientation or exactly when the bends happen. I know I've run into this error before; if there's not some obvious case that causes this kind of problem then I'll assume it's got something to do with that and just keep on adding a small random offset.

ahhh got it, so my little test works fine.....or so it seems, just chuck in a sort after the line, and randomize the point order you'll see it's scrambled.

So I guess if you know you've got your points pretty much 'linear' you might as well sort them in a certain direction, that should fix it.