Dr Queue

daland

now that I have Escape, (whoo hoo!) I am looking into render controlers and came across this one

http://www.drqueue.org

we have to stay on windows because of Vray, and right now Rush (which works great) isn't in the budget.

I was just wondering if anyone had used it yet? Since it supports bmrt and renders rib files via command line rendering I am hoping I can get it to render ifds via the mantra command.

anybody tried this one yet?

thank you!

david

Hey David,

We're setting it up now, also been looking around for an open source render farm manager, and choose drque as it seems pretty simple and easy to setup for a smaller vfx shop. I got a coder working on mantra integration, shouldn't take too long before it's ready. Not sure if it would work on windows tho, is the windows version compiled or a static binary? Ii'm asking because to get mantra usability, some additional files with the mantra stuff has to be compiled into the binary. I'll let you know once we got something working.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Ivam,

Do you send your jobs thru the general profile or? We're adding a mantra profile with various render setting stuff etc... just to make things easier / faster to work with. I'd love to be able to send the job to the farm from inside houdini itself, is that possible?

Peter

being a longtime unix/commandline weenie, I just enter the command string. Bk set up a handy script that generates the full command given a path to some IFD's. Just highlight and middle click in linux, definitely not inside houdini though. I guess it's actually not all that user-friendly, but I'm pretty used to it by now. You could probably set up a script that the ROP calls that spits out the command line, I haven't done much on windows boxes, so I don't know where the easy route lies. It is free, though.

Hi Ivam,

Do you send your jobs thru the general profile or? We're adding a mantra profile with various render setting stuff etc... just to make things easier / faster to work with. I'd love to be able to send the job to the farm from inside houdini itself, is that possible?

Peter

22435[/snapback]

we've been using drqueue with mantra for about a year. No problems, no coding needed.

(not that it woulda been a problem). A few minor quirks, but basicly great for a small zero budget type shop. ;)

Ya zero budget type shop would be me...lol

Ivan when you are in drqueue are you just entering mantra commands to render the ifds and are you using the "general" job form rather than one of the pre-made forms that support other packages?

thanks, nice to know someone has used this sucessfully!

david

BK's script echoes out something like this:

renderjob Elitek; rendershot scn_08; mantra < ifd/C2/C2.$DRQUEUE_PADFRAME.ifd

the renderjob and rendershot commands set up the job specific paths and goes into the shot dir.

I just cut that line and paste it into the command slot when I create a new job in drqueue.

we've been using drqueue with mantra for about a year. No problems, no coding needed.

(not that it woulda been a problem). A few minor quirks, but basicly great for a small zero budget type shop. ;)

Ya zero budget type shop would be me...lol

Ivan when you are in drqueue are you just entering mantra commands to render the ifds and are you using the "general" job form rather than one of the pre-made forms that support other packages?

thanks, nice to know someone has used this sucessfully!

david

22506[/snapback]

• 1 month later...

hey, we just merged our mantra specific code into the main trunk of drqueue, so should show up soon in the more recent releases. It renders ifds, but we're working on a hrender profile too... soon ready. It's just that hrender needs a seperate license as far as I understand it... writing out ifd files from houdini and then network rendering those are the way to go if u dont have that.

Peter.