Mantra Render Problem

Hi Everbody...

There is a question. Why mantra takes time to Render blank areas, even if there is no geometry, no fog, nothing.

I took a Cube, placed it in the middle of Camra View, one light, one camera. Camera set to 720 * 576. Thats it.

Even then it takes time to render blank space. And it is a considerable time. abt 5 sec to render the Cube and 15 sec to render the blank. Is there a way to reduce this problem. Or is there some specific setting.

Waiting for ur answer.

Thanking in advance.

------iamjaideep80

Rendering black is almost instantaneous. It is the time it takes mplay to actually draw the black buckets that most likely causes the lag you are seeing. That is unless you have no lights in your scene... :P

The system and graphics card specs has the most impact here.

Rendering black is almost instantaneous.  It is the time it takes mplay to actually draw the black buckets that most likely causes the lag you are seeing. That is unless you have no lights in your scene...  :P

The system and graphics card specs has the most impact here.

22781[/snapback]

I agree - many (consumer) graphics cards can't handle floating point rasters too well, so MPlay is slow when trying to display it. Hit "d" over MPlay to bring up the Display Options and fiddle with the Graphics cards options.

Rendering black is nearly instantaneous.

Good luck,

Jason

Hi Everybody....

Thank u for replying.

I forgot to tell you the system config.

It is Xeon with 2 processors of 3 GHz .

2 GB RAM. And QuadroFX 1300 Graphics Card.

I don't think the problem is because of the system config.

I forgot to tell you that, for the Test rendering, I created Mantra out. and used

default parameters.

I think there is something that I should turn off or do some changes.

Or am I doing something wrong ????

Can u Explain????

----iamjaideep80

I don't think the problem is because of the system config.

I forgot to tell you that, for the Test rendering, I created Mantra out. and used

default parameters.

I think there is something that I should turn off or do some changes.

Or am I doing something wrong ????

----iamjaideep80

22795[/snapback]

What is the scene? The only time it'll not flash through open space is if its rendering an object with very large displacement bounds - especially if the camera is sitting inside the displacement bounds of an object. And it usually only has its longest pause when it renders a bucket on the boundary of the displacement bounds; after this it would have cached the micropolys.

Are you on linux? Or Windows? In any case, try rendering to a file instead of mplay, and get mantra to print out render progress (with the -V a) commandline switch. You should see it scream through black space.

Also, you can render to md instead of ip which will render rows of buckets from the bottom up. This is how Mantra often renders to file because most file formats support writing of scanlines instead of buckets and this way it can flush RAM while writing to a file.