Dop -> Sop

Visual Cortex Lab

oh.. and also.. how can I make many object (I'm using RBD Fractured) self collide?, well.. they do.. but i need much more precision since they seems they're not (it works properly with a shattered head model.. but not with a Logo .. hm.. i should say its the XSI logo I'm using... maybe that's why :D)

I'm making bunches of XSI logo falls on the floor.. and they dont collide with each others... such logo comes out from a copy->partition SOP.

cheers

say ur needing to import "/dops/legodop" into ur sops

with the objects "block1" " block2", "block3..." inside ur DOP network

ammend an object merge enter

/dops/legodop:block*:Geometry --- inside object 1

then

as for collision precision

u need to specify ur collision resolution on ur rbdobject DOP, under collisions (tick show collision guide Geom)

then u should have a red iso surface that represents how ur object is treated in dops

now u can refine that by increasing ur divisions in the same menu.

further down u can increase ur contact passess and subcontact passes etc under the rbd solver, but u can read up on that

hope some of this helps

:blink:

aracid ... i must admit i didnt got it :( ..

my scene is fairly simple ... bunches of XSI logo (sorry for that.. was first Traceable picture come to mind)... result of a copy SOP (logo over a grid). then a partition to get single obj in single group

this goes into DOP with a RBD fractured..

assuming simulation is ok ... how can I get back to SOP and find such object animated?...

assuming simulation aint ok .. i guess i found the paramenters inside the RBD solver.. i'm now trying some higher values to get collision properly simulated.

cheers.

One option for bringing back into SOPs is to render the geometry and then reload in SOPs with a File SOP. I have found that this can often speen up the workflow quite a bit. You do lose some of the procedural nature of the simulation though so it really depends on what you need.

I am working on a particle sim right now and my computer was getting so slow and unstable with the size and complexity of the sim that it was really frusterating. I rendered out the geometeries per frame and then when I load them back in I can focus on tweak and textures without having the simulation happing any more.

Craig, thanks a lot for your scene. just wondering.. what's the difference between your method.. and by using DOPmerge SOP?

25165[/snapback]

I assume you mean the DOP Transform SOP. The doptransform will match incoming object names (that's DOPs objects, not GEO objects) to group names in the current sop network, and transform each group according to the motion of the matching DOPS object.

So the difference is that, in the hip file I posted earlier, you are bringing in the geometry directly from DOPs; but with the doptransform sop, you are bringing in the position data from DOPs, and applying it to some geometry - that may or may not match your original simulation geometry.

One use of this is to create proxy geometry for simulating in DOPs, and then apply the simulation data to the real, more complex geometry later. The attached hip file shows a cheap and cheerful version of this.

inAndOutOfDopsProxy.hip

Hey Craig,

Many many thanks for this explaination... and for the HIPs.

Now i have it realy clear. :)

cheers.

25177[/snapback]

Well, let me muddy it up for you :P

There is a simpler use of the dop transform sop, which occurred to me afterwards. Since, in my example, the group names are already there when you create the model, and those names are used to create the dops object names, you can also just rely on those to bring stuff back into your original sop network, using the dop transform.

The attached is a simper version of the original hip file, using the dop transform sop.

Just so you know you have options... :D

inAndOutOfDopsSimple.hip

ok then.. I'll add mine :)

lowres DOPped object.. that moves highres Chairs.

lemme know if I can improve such setup.. this was just a test to understand this easy DOP->SOP data transfer.

thansk Craig

25242[/snapback]

Nope, this seems pretty well thought out. The only thing I would do is to make explicit the objects you are expecting to extract in the doptransform node. That means changing the Object Mask field from

to

color_*

But doing that won't make the simulation run any faster or anything. It's just more precise.

Nope, this seems pretty well thought out. The only thing I would do is to make explicit the objects you are expecting to extract in the doptransform node. That means changing the Object Mask field from

to

color_*

But doing that won't make the simulation run any faster or anything. It's just more precise.

25274[/snapback]

cool ... ok .. i got it :)

so I cant even simulate many objects.. and with doptransform "extract" just the neede simulated Dopbject... that's the reason for such wildmask.. right?

cheers

cool ... ok .. i got it :)

so I cant even simulate many objects.. and with doptransform "extract" just the neede simulated Dopbject... that's the reason for such wildmask.. right?

cheers

25282[/snapback]

I assume what you meant to say is "so I can simulate many objects...and with doptransform extract just the needed simulated dop objects"

In which case, yes, absolutely right.

I assume what you meant to say is "so I can simulate many objects...and with doptransform extract just the needed simulated dop objects"

In which case, yes, absolutely right.

25284[/snapback]

yup.. sorry for my typo ... was so cold last night i wasnt even able to properly type :)..

thanks a lot.

cheers.