Dependancy Rendering

There is one thing in ROPs I don't understand. I set several mantra renderings (each one has different frame range) I wired one with the other to form dependency queue. But unfortunately when I pressed rendered all of the subsequent renders took over frame range from the very first render settings... no overides, nothing, what I am doing wrong? or maybe dependancy is not for batch rendering....?!?

How can I set up simple render queue within houdini session, using dependency graph, I've read it is possible. I've already figured out it's possible with post-renderexpression which fortunately works very fine. But I'm curious if anyone has come up wit the similar problem...

thanks

Kuba

I'm going to guess that your first ROP's frame range is the largest, from your description. The way ROP frame ranges work, by default, is to render the frame from their input ROPs before rendering their frame. So, if you had:

A (30 - 100)

|

B (1 - 200)

...A would render 1-200 if you render B fully over 1-200. In order to only render 30-100 of A, you'd have to set the "Valid Frame Range" parm to "Render Frame Range Only (strict)". This tells B that regardless of which frames it's rendering, you want its inputs' frame ranges respected (A: 30-100).

By default, this parm is set to "Render Any Frame", which will always render the frame requested by the output ROP(s). "Render Frame Range" specifies a range to render when rendering that ROP directly, but will otherwise follow its outputs' frame requests when rendered via a downstream ROP dependency (exactly like "Render Any Frame" would).

Thanks malexander,

But what if my render ranges doesn't overlap?

C (150-200)

|

B (100-150)

|

A (0-100)

It's odd but previously I had `Render Frame Range` and all of the nodes render 0-100 frame range - that was exactly as you said. After that I changed to `Strict` it was rendering correctly until it switched to to the B node. At that moment Mantra suddently stoped - don't know why...

One more silly question downstream ROP dependancy means that the A node in my scheme is a child of the B? isn't it? And I have to click render on that A node...? :unsure:

kuba